1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kawasaki FB460V not charging battery

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mmeredithsnet.net, Dec 13, 2004.

1. mmeredithsnet.net

mmeredithsnet.net LawnSite Member

I've got a Wheel Horse 212-6 (1988) with a 12.5 hp FB460V Kawasaki engine. It's been great until the last mowing in 2004. It appears that the battery is not charging (less than 12 volts). I'm going to be checking the diode and voltage rectifier first before getting into the charging coil, ignition coil under the flywheel. The tractor will start with jumper cables hooked to another battery. No engagement of the electric PTO for the blades while running. (hope the clutch is still good).

Was wondering if anyone out there has had similar problems with this engine type and if so what were the corrections.
  2. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Your flywheel may need to be repolarized. It takes a long time for one to lose it, but it does happen. Also check your stator around the flywheel. That should also help you determine it.
  3. Mikes Machines

Mikes Machines LawnSite Member

If you go to Kawasaki.com they have parts diagrams online. Pull up the picture of you engines electrical and you can see the stator only has one wire. This makes AC voltage, there is a specified amount at full governed speed. Unfortunately I dont have the spec. If memory serves me right I think it should be about 45 volts AC but dont hold me on that one. If you put a DC meter on the battery terminals you should read just about battery voltage or a little under then when you speed the engine up to top governor you should see the voltage rise, this will tell you if it is charging or if it is a battery problem. The test for the stator is AC voltage at top gov, there is no real good test for the regulator other than verify the stator voltage then check the charge out put. I dont know of a test for the magnets in the flywheel. If you have a Kawasaki dealer in your area they should give you the stator spec.
    Hope this helps.
  4. Tech man

Tech man LawnSite Member

Link please... cant seem to find it... thanks
  5. Mikes Machines

Mikes Machines LawnSite Member

Click on four stroke engines, then FB460V, then click on the appropriate spec number which is "S01" through "S036" then click electrical. I just picked a spec with an electric starter, the pull starts usually dont have a charging system, I picked "S04", you can see that reference number 92037B is a clamp that holds the only wire coming out of the stator, this is where you would check for AC volts, this wire connects to reference number 21061 which is the reg/rect, the other side of the reg/rect ulitmately goes to the positive on the battery to keep it charged and provide electricity to power the pto clutch. I know this is not a service manual but if you are mechanical this should be enough to point you in the right direction. Most repair shops shy away from walking you through a repair but some will give you a spec if you buy any amount of parts from them.