Kawasaki FB460V stalls under load

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bgbuffalo, May 20, 2006.

1. bgbuffalo

bgbuffalo LawnSite Member
    from CT

I have an older Scag 36" walk behind with FB460V Engine. Last season had trouble starting first time, but a shot of starting fluid took care of it. Now it starts rightup with a squit, but if it will stall at anything more than a high idle or under load.

Changed fuel filter, cleaned exterior of carb to no avail I am new at this and not sure where to go from here.
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like you need to clean the interior of the carb., Use a spray can of carb. & choke cleaner and spray all ports and passages including jets. If you have access to compressed air blow thru all the passages as well. Also make sure the choke valve is closing fully when the cable is moved to the choke position. You don't have to remove the throttle and choke shafts.
    Below is the carb. break-down to assist in disassembly and reassembly.

FB460 Carb..JPG
  3. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

It could have some water trapped in the fuel system, carb cleaner should take care of that
  4. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

FB460's get hard to start when they have low compression. It might need a valve job. This might also explain why it doesn't have any power.
  5. bgbuffalo

from CT

I found some debris in a vent hole and blew that out. I drained the gas tank, blew out the fuel line and replaced with fresh fuel. I sprayed a bunch of carb cleaner into the carb while running and could get the rpms up for a few minutes, but as soon as I engaged the blade it would choke. I can engage the blade at low idle and bring the rpms up to around a high idle before it chokes.

The butterfly seems to be working properly.

I guess I pull the carb off, disasemble and clean, I was just hoping I would not have to pull it.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If it has a lot of usage on it you might have to look at valve job the exhaust valve gets dirty and stays partially open. I have had 2 for 2 of them with that situation. It also made the unit hard to start.
  7. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Throw the starting fluid away. The professional mechanics would not even consider using starting fluid.

8. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Carb cleaner is good to clean with. Put some gasoline in a spray bottle and sray that in the carb to get the engine to start. Carb cleaner and starting fluid dry the cylinder out a lot. Spraying straight gas or a very lean mix of 2 stroke mix is better than 2+2 or starting fluid.
  9. bgbuffalo

from CT

Thanks for the info. Now I see why you guys get the big bucks!:)
  10. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Big bucks?? What are those and where can I get some?? :dizzy: :confused: