Kawasaki FB460V - voltage regulator?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jamess, Mar 30, 2004.

1. jamess

jamess LawnSite Member

I've got an older Snapper Rider mower with a Kawasaki FB460V engine on it. It wouldn't start this season, wouldn't even crank. The battery is fully charged and the "key" circuit tests ok. I noticed that there was what appeared to be some melted electrical tape wrapped around some of the wires leading to the starter. When I pulled them apart I noticed a small rectangular device that looks quite heat damaged. I'm assuming that this is the culprit. I can make out the name "Lucas" and a number "ro933048" on it. Is this a diode or some sort of voltage regulator?'
    Does it need to be there? (can I bypass it?)

I haven't tried, I don't want to burn something else out.

2. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

Can you test the starter to see if its getting power to it ??

3. jamess

jamess LawnSite Member

No, there is no power getting to the starter.

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, it is probably the voltage regulator.

5. jamess

jamess LawnSite Member

Well it appears that I am an idiot. The starter is getting power.... (I forgot that the ignition switch didn't power the starter, there is a seperate push button for the starter).

The wires are actually leading to the solinoid it seems not the starter. There are 3 wires leading from the solinoid, 2 black and one white. The white wire runs to the ignition key which is grounded. 1 of the black wires runs to the negative battery terminal and the other black wire runs to the component then to the positive battery terminal.