1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kawasaki FB460V

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by JHC, Mar 4, 2004.

1. JHC

JHC LawnSite Member

I finally received new valves for my Kawasaki FB460V but have not found how to determine Top Dead Center (TDC) so I can gap the valves. Is TDC when the piston is at the top of the cyclinder or some measurement below the cyclinder?

Thanks in advance.

2. Mikes Machines

Mikes Machines LawnSite Member

Top dead center is just that, the piston is at the top of the stroke. If you are going to adjust the valves you have to have the engine at TDC on the compression stroke. You do this because both valves are closed at this point. You dont have to be dead nuts TDC a few degrees either way wont make any difference.
  3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Pull the spark plug, crank the motor over by hand with your finger in the spark plug hole, when your on the compression stroke it will blow out the hole. When you feel compression you can stick a straw in the plug hole and you can feel when the piston reaches tdc.
  4. JHC

JHC LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the info. I replaced the valves, cleaned the seats, gaped the valves and she cranked up on the second pull. Appreciate all the advice.