Kawasaki fc150v problems

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by cburnz236, Nov 25, 2007.

1. cburnz236

cburnz236 LawnSite Member

I have a petrol mulcher that has a Kawasaki fc150v engine in it. Its been up in the shed for about 2 years and i haven't been able to get it to start. In total its only had about 5hrs run time if that since purchase when new. I've checked the fuel lines, given it a new spark plug and changed the oil and it still doesn't start, not even a kick. Any suggestions with how to fix it would be great.

2. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

Odds are that the fuel has gummed up in the carb. You really need to treat the fuel system with StaBil or similar compound prior to storage. You might try putting a teaspoon of gasoline in the air intake and see what happens.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with Steve on the gummed up carb....

Take the carb. off then tear it down, Spray carb. & choke cleaner with the straw through ALL ports, passages and jets then re-assemble.

Just in case you need it;

[​IMG]

Good Luck

4. Lawnmasters

Lawnmasters LawnSite Member

Now this is how you answer someone's question!!

5. Restrorob

What can I say....... :weightlifter:

6. cburnz236

Pulled the carby to bits, had no dirt at all. I think the spark plug just isn't sparking at all. Is it a possible to buy a dud (it is the correct type for engine)? or could there be something else?

7. Restrorob

You could have gotten a bad plug, Put the plug in the boot and hold the steel part against the valve cover and crank the engine over. Look for spark jumping across the gap.

One usually doesn't just drop spark from sitting unless it has points and this one doesn't.

Did you go ahead and clean the carb with spray cleaner ? Dirt/trash in a bowl is different than gum in a port or jet.

8. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Take the jets completly out and pull a wire from a wire brush to run through the holes in the jet. I would check for spark first as RestroRob suggested.

9. cburnz236

I did clean the carb but not with a spray cleaner, i just used a high pressure air gun. Would it make any diference?
    Just checked the plug and there is no spark, looks like i'll get a new one today.

10. Restrorob

Sure it could, Straight air will not dissolve any fuel residue (gum) that may have accumulated on the inside of a jet or passage as carb & choke spray cleaner is designed to do.

If you still have no spark with another plug here is the test procedure for the ignition system using a multimeter. You have a kill switch on this engine either on the engine throttle control panel or on a flywheel braking system under the flywheel cover depending on your engine spec number. Disconnect this kill switch wire first then check for spark again, If still no spark perform the test below;

[​IMG]