Kawasaki fc290v won't fast idle

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by nematoad, May 13, 2008.

1. nematoad

nematoad LawnSite Member

I have an old John Deere SRX-75 riding mower with a 9 Horse Kawasaki fc290v engine on it. It has always run perfectly until last week after my wife used it to mow the lawn while I was out of town. I can't be sure, but I have a sneaking suspicion that she ran it all day with the choke partially closed. ( I think she pushed the throttle lever too far foward.) Anyway, it now starts if you choke it and will slow idle, but if you try to fast idle it, it dies immediately.
    However, if you hold the choke lever so the choke closes, it will run with a higher throttle setting. I have tried checking and resetting the throttle linkage, choke and governor arm, but it still dies when you increase the throttle past idle. Is this likely a carb problem - i.e. the jets or something gunked up and need cleaning? If I need to clean the carb is there a schematic available for this model? Should I try something else before I try cleaning the carb? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like you need to get inside the carb, Here is a little paste I keep handy;

"Take the carb. off then tear it down, Spray carb. & choke cleaner with the straw through ALL ports, passages and jets then blow it out with compressed air if available then re-assemble, Check/clean the fuel tank and flush/replace the fuel hose and install a new fuel filter."

[​IMG]

All you should have to remove is the red boxed items along with #15 and #16 (pic was made for FC 420 without these)...... #7 pilot jet has a super small hole in the tip, Bend a bristol in a hand wire brush so it sticks out of the side of the handle and make sure the port in this jet is open.

Before removing #9 pilot screw, Screw it in until it's LIGHTLY seated (closed) counting the turns as you go. After cleaning put it back in LIGHTLY seated then open the amount of turns you counted. This will give you a starting point for fine tuning, Also replace that fouled spark plug.

Good Luck

3. nematoad

nematoad LawnSite Member

Thanks, restrorob. This is exactly the info I needed. I appreciate the tips on how to clean the carb and the schematic. I'll let you know how it goes.