Kawasaki FC400V no spark

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Goody, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Goody

Goody LawnSite Member

I installed a new coil, and at first set the gap to the thickness of a matchbook cover, no luck so I use a piece of emery paper, still nothing.
    I also disconnected the wire going to the coil to try and eliminate bad grounding issues. I put a new plug in and still no spark.. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Goody

2. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Can you please post your engines spec# so I can look up something about your engine.

3. Goody

Goody LawnSite Member

MowerMedic77,
    The motor is a Kawasaki FC400V-ASO3 overhead valve,
    engine #fc400v003258. It is on a 36" Ferris Hydro walk behind model# HW36KA.
    Thanks,
    Goody

4. MowerMedic77

This engine is equipped with an igniter and more then likely this is what is causing your no spark issue. Your original main coil was probably still ok but most places have a no return on electrical items policy.
    The item # for the igniter is 21119-2161 and msrp is $58.12

You can do a search in this forum for coil test procedures on this engine and check the igniter before repl. but if you have pulled the main kill wire and repl the main coil there really is nothing left on the engine that controls spark.

5. Goody

Goody LawnSite Member

Thanks MM77, Is the igniter mounted on the side of the engine block? I had the flywheel off and there is nothing under it.
    Goody

6. MowerMedic77

Yes it is, the pic will show you what is looks like the razor blade is just a size reference.

igniter.jpg

igniter.jpg