Kawasaki FC420V 14 hp coil wire issues

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mngreenguy, Sep 3, 2009.

1. mngreenguy

mngreenguy LawnSite Member
    from mn

I just bought a scag that won't start it sparks sometimes depending on which way i bend the plug wire before i spend the 50 bucks and buy a new coil and wire is there a way to just replace the wire it seems to be permanently attached to the coil. I have some spare make your own automotive wires laying around.

thanks for viewing
    nick

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

The plug wire is bonded inside the coil, I just replace the whole coil.

3. mngreenguy

from mn

yeah it's unfortunate they design it that way you would think the sealed coil would outlast the plugwire, i'll bite the bone and replace it thanks

4. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

By any chance do you know where the break is ? You could use a butt connector to splice it back together, I've seen it done on another large mower and it worked for the guy. He some how cut the plug wire with his hedge trimmer :laugh:

5. mngreenguy

from mn

i don't, there is some white corrosion coming from where the wire goes into the epoxy on the coil so i think i may be sol.

I may try and cut it off leaving an inch or so and use a butt connector like you stated can't hurt won't cost me anything.

6. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Just be ready to get a new coil if that does not work. I don't remember what engine it was on, but the cut was up near the boot. Good Luck

7. mngreenguy

from mn

never trust a seller when they say the plug is new... i replaced the plug and viola she fires. but runs like crap so looks like i'm going to be doing some reading on how to adjust carbs.

8. mngreenguy

from mn

my problems have shifted slightly i have cleaned the carb out but i'm having trouble identifying what to adjust. I got some info from here http://www.kawpower.com/ but the pdf kinda blows.

Can you folks help me identify what to adjust.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

There are only two adjustments on this carb;

[​IMG]

Did you remove that black plastic stop cap then remove the adjuster and clean that port as well ?

You could snap the adjuster off removing this stop cap if not careful, Once off screw the adjuster in until it's LIGHTLY seated counting the turns as you go, Then screw it back out for cleaning then screw it back in until LIGHTLY seated and back it out the number of turns you counted.

This will put it back at a good starting point which can be fine tuned from there once the engine is running and warmed up (with the air filter in place).

10. mngreenguy

from mn

Restrorob thanks for helping with the photo's

I did not remove that one, i will pull it out and clean as you indicated. Thanks for the response.