Kawasaki fc420v coil

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by F.S Lawn Care, Jun 10, 2008.

1. F.S Lawn Care

F.S Lawn Care LawnSite Member

First off its a scag. The part comes on tomorrow and seeing that I haven't done this before, I was wondering the difficulty of the job. I know I'll have to take the top housing and the pull reel off, but is it pretty self explanatory? The guy at the place I ordered the part from said something about putting a business card between it and a magnet somewhere so it doesn't get stuck and it was kind of hard for me to visualize that so any help would be appreciated.

2. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

First, how do you know the coil is bad? Does it not have spark?

Your ground wire fron the switch could be shorting somewhere, or the ignitor (There is one on this engine, I think) could be bad.

Short of those, once you get the blower housing off, it should be real easy to put the new one in. The business card goes in between the flywheel and the legs of the armature (the ignition coil) to give you the proper induction power to make the spark.

Make sure you don't put it on upside-down.

3. F.S Lawn Care

Makes more sense now. I put an entire ignition box on just last year and i remember I got it to run by pulling one of the wires out and turning it off by putting it back in. That didn't work and I brought it to the shop and he said it was most likely the coil so I went with his and my gut feeling. It's just been hell cutting everything with my toro 36 I cant wait till its running.

4. F.S Lawn Care

I finished installing it about 2 hours ago and it runs perfectly. One last question: The shield from the muffler broke off and it wouldn't be possible to put a new one on so I have to get something to protect the coil wire. What would be the best thing to wrap around it so it doesn't melt? A new muffler and shield were $130 so it was a little out of the question. I was thinking something from advanced auto parts that they use for exhaust.