Kawasaki FC420V-CS07, No Spark

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by grassassasin, Sep 29, 2007.

1. grassassasin

grassassasin LawnSite Member

Hey guys - I'm new so, thanks in advance for your help.

So, I got this Bunton 48" walk behind through a friend. Said it "Needs a little work" and I though no problem, should be able to get it running. Well, it appears it has been some what dismantled, and with no local dealer to support, I cannot figure this thing out. Should have know that the spark plug hanging by the coil wire was a bad omen.....

I found a shop that sold Kawasaki parts, but they were no help, and they don't work on Bunton's so they wouldn't even touch it if I wanted them to.

I managed to get a new coil, which is supposed to be the right number, and the igniter to go with it, but I still am having no spark. There is a wi9re with a spade terminal on the end going to the coil and another spade about half way down the wire that I am assuming goes to the igniter, and the other end of the wire has a barrel connector, but I see no place to attach it.

So, I am not sure what has been done to it, I have a feeling it came from another landscaper who may have stolen parts to make another Kawasaki work. But, I have no manual, and if it is junk I don't want to try and hunt them down since bunton is gonzo.

The E# on the engine flywheel shorud is FC420V165750, the coil part number they sold me is 21121-2070, and the iginitor is 21119-2161.

Any ideas?

-Brett

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Well, That's the proper coil and igniter. Make sure the igniter is grounded good, The barrel connector is where a kill switch is plugged up. Also make sure the coil air gap is not too wide, Any business card thickness inserted between the flywheel magnet and coil will be just fine.

Were you checking for spark with a new spark plug ?

The only other thing I can think of is a weak magnet on the flywheel. Although I have never ran across one I have heard of this situation.

3. tryingtomakeit

tryingtomakeit LawnSite Member

Try leaving the wire from the coil to the igniter in place, but disconnect the other wire coming from the igniter. This will tell you if your problem lies in a switch somewhere, as it will be totally isolated from the tractor. Good luck, as electricity can be a bear sometimes.

4. grassassasin

grassassasin LawnSite Member

Thanks guys for the advice - it was a poor ground. I made a new bracket for the igniter and that did it. Hot blue spark now!

Next adventure - Carburetor!

This carb is junk - I don't think it can be saved. There is more corrosion in this thing than any other carb I have worked on. It will run, but horribly. It is spotless inside now, but I'm afraid the seat is just too far gone, and since it is non-replaceable from what I can tell, I think I'm going to have to find another carb. Any ideas of where I can find a used replacement Mikuni for this FC420V-CS07???? The local junk mower guy had one but it was for the wrong model motor as it was completely opposite in every aspect than mine was....linkage was backwards, throttle plates reversed, etc.....didn't even have the same air cleaner.

I've looked on Ebay but have had no luck. Any ideas?

-Brett

5. DanteDante

DanteDante LawnSite Member

Hey, if you find someplace that can offer a replacement carburetor for that engine, post it here. I need one, too. Mine has a broken float pin post. Still holds the pin pretty well, but I can't get the inlet needle to sit right, either. Getting gas in my oil. Bummer. Good luck!

6. I MOW ALONE

I MOW ALONE LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a couple carbs for the 420 i will check the #s on motor but to my knowledge they are all the same on the 420.

7. DanteDante

DanteDante LawnSite Member

Hey thanks, that would be great. I will check the numbers on mine, too.
    Will post tomorrow.