KAWASAKI FC420V no spark....help!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by TT40, Sep 4, 2006.

1. TT40

TT40 LawnSite Member

The 14hp Kawasaki on my John Deere 175 hydro wouldn't start and upon further investigation there is no spark at all. I replaced the coil last season because of misfiring and stumbling which fixed it however I know nothing lasts forever but before I replace it can I test it with a multimeter? That thing wasn't cheap. I removed the flywheel and cleaned all the dust out around the stator and cleaned the flywheel-coil surface also. Still no spark. Any suggestions?

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

was it just running but then the next day it didn't start? you may have a kill wire issue?

3. TT40

TT40 LawnSite Member

Yes it was running fine and put it away then next time she wouldn't fire. Where is the kill wire located? Can it be removed to see if it will fire?

4. khouse

i believe your coil has just 2 wires on it. a kill wire (small wire) and the secondary wire (to the plug) disconnect the small wire. this should eliminate any safety switches and crank it over to see if theres spark. good luck

5. TT40

TT40 LawnSite Member

I appreciate the info. I'll check it out and give it a try.
    Thanks

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Here is the test procedures, The kill wire is one from the unit harness hooked to terminal (A) on the control unit.

[​IMG]

7. TT40

TT40 LawnSite Member

I removed the kill wire on the module still no fire. I'll check the coil and the module out with a multimeter according to the diagram and see where I am.
    Thanks

8. khouse

you've just eliminated the safety switches and wiring. now with what restrorob posted you should be on your way.

9. TT40

TT40 LawnSite Member

The coil seems to checkout. Primary has .70 ohms (.48 to .72 range) and the secondary has 13.23 k ohms (10.9 to 16.3 k range) without the spark plug cap as shown in the diagram. With the cap it raises the resistance to 18.63 k ohms which I wondering about that. On the control unit case reads 500 ohms and is within the 400-600 range, however the reading from A to B is 1.59 k ohms. Is this thing out of whack by that high of a reading? Thanks, TT

10. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Well, If the coil test with-in specs. without the plug cap and the control unit does not I would venture to say the control unit is the problem.