Kawasaki FC420V Running Hot

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by AC Lawn & Landscape, Aug 28, 2006.

1. AC Lawn & Landscape

AC Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Member

Having problems with Scag 48" w/Kawasaki engine. Machine runs for about 15 minutes and stalls. Seems that the engine is hotter than normal. Changed fuel filter, sprayed carb cleaner in and around carb., emptied fuel tank and cleaned out fuel, changed spark plug and air filter, oil change w/ filter replacement. If I wait for engine to cool it usually starts back up. What can be making it run hot and stall? What can I check next before bringing to shop?

2. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you checked to see if the cooling fins are clean, and not pugged with grass or gunk.

3. AC Lawn & Landscape

AC Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Member

Does the cover need to be takin off to get to the cooling fins? Not sure where the cooling fins are.

4. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Yes, you have to take off the engine cover. Just look around the engine, you should be able to figure out which bolts/screws you need to remove. Keep track of what goes where. Make sure you clean out the fins all way down the front of the engine. Sometimes if you just blow off the fins from the top, all the crap gets caught down in parts where it is hard to see.

If when you start the engine, you see a little grass / dirt blowing out from the engine, you probably have to clean out the cooling fins. If you see little bits of tissue paper type stuff, you may have a mouse nest in there.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Yes the top cover needs to be removed to gain access to the fins on the head and cylinder. BUT before you remove the cover start the engine again and let it run till it shuts off, Then check for spark to the spark plug.
    You could have a bad coil thats heating up and dropping spark, This way if the coil is bad you only have to remove the top cover once. Blow the fins out with compressed air to clean, If oil etc. is present use some engine degreaser.

6. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

Yes.You have to remove the air shroud and then look to see if grass and dirt have built up on and around the cooling fins.If it has I use a wood scraper and clean all the fins and then use a blowgun to blow out the finer stuff in the flywheel.Most of the time i pull all the shrouding off and them give it all a good cleaning.I had to do that to a briggs i have that was running hot.It looked like noone had cleaned it in years.

7. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

I would expect that 175->200psi air pressure through a 1/16" orifice, from a distance of about 2 ", directed onto/into all engine cylinder and head fins plus any other debris adhered to engine case, that you can access, will take care of blocked cooling shroud passages.
    You could have dirt daubers taking up residence on top of your engine. Inspect carefully to try and spot the problem(s).

8. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Your out Jimbo, You didn't say "Yes the cover has to be....." :hammerhead: :laugh:

9. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes it could very well be a coil, kawi is notorious for bad coils. Sometimes grease and mud during wet season's and junk gets accumulated and can cause the engine to overheat. Cooling fins and system should be cleaned out anyway, every 100-150 hours.

10. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

Whoops;
    A-Squeeze me!