1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kawasaki Fc420v to fh381v

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by BruinLawn, Jul 14, 2013.

1. BruinLawn

BruinLawn LawnSite Member

Ive got a 48"bobcat and the kawasaki fc420v engine die. I have a new Kawasaki fh381v just sitting in the garage left over from a project. So I want to swap out the engines. Are the bolt patterns the same or will i have to drill new holes in the mower to secure the new engine? And are the crankshaft sizes the same? I looked all over online and found nothing on this topic.
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

The pattern is the same, Pull the blown engine and compare the crank size/length.......
  3. BruinLawn

BruinLawn LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help. Hopefully going from a 14 hp to a 13HP engine wont affect performance.
  4. jeannewyatt

jeannewyatt LawnSite Member

You will have a problem with the choke cable not being long enough. Everything else will work.
  5. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Crankshaft should be the same. You will need a longer throttle cable to get to the front of the engine. The bolt in the center of the crank will need to be changed also. The old engine has a metric bolt while the new one will be SAE I believe.
  6. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 LawnSite Senior Member

You're gonna need exhaust if your old engine does'nt have it, and it has to clear the deck cover.