Kawasaki fc420v - won't start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by chev71, Jul 24, 2006.

1. chev71

chev71 LawnSite Member

no spark. tested key switch & all safety switches, all operate correctly.
    Kawasaki fc420v on a Scag sw48-14ka

2. Carriage House

Carriage House LawnSite Member

Depending on how old the machine is and how you store it, I would check the coil. 9 times out of 10 thats it. You can check it on a meter or just swap it out with another making sure you clean up the contact points and gap it correctly.

Hope this helps and I'm not stating the obvious.

Kris

3. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

Do any of you guys, or not guys know about voltage checks on the low voltage side of coil, to see if you _should_ have fire when engine is spun?
    I have always been leery of checking voltage on a device that can fry my Fluke and have, therefore never experimented.
    I bet one of you can dig up a maintenance manual procedure to tell me what I am looking for.:weightlifter:

4. chev71

chev71 LawnSite Member

Mechanic in mower shop said to disconect the ground wire at the coil then try to start it. If I get no spark, then the coil is bad. I changed the coil and I still have no spark. The machine is 6 years old, a pull start, does not have an igniter and it is not used comercially. Is there any other part on this mower that will stop it from getting a spark. It is also stored indoors.

5. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Just curious what are you using and how are you testing for spark?

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I looked up four FC420V engines and they had igniter's, What is the spec. number off your engine ? There were too many to check all.

7. chev71

chev71 LawnSite Member

Scag model# SW48-14KA Serial# 4000649 Kawasaki Code# FC420V-JS09 E/NO FC420VD29800 These are the numbers from the mower deck and the engine. The mechanic at the shop said there are two different coils for this engine and he says this one may be the wrong one. He will not have the other coil until tuesday.

8. Restrorob

There is only one coil listed for your spec. engine, Part # 21121-2086 and there are no superceded or prior numbers for this part. He must have looked up the wrong spec. and sold you a coil requiring the use of the igniter.

9. chev71

chev71 LawnSite Member

Thanks Restrorob, The coil part number he gave me is 21121-2070. Hopefully tuesday I'll have the correct coil and be up and running again.

10. Restrorob

Yep, Thats what happened, That coil is for use with the igniter. Here's hoping he's getting the right one this time.