Kawasaki FC420V won't start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by TAC_Double, May 25, 2008.

1. TAC_Double

TAC_Double LawnSite Member
    from SW Ohio

Picked up a walk behind yesterday at an auction, won't start. Checked for spark, not getting any. Checked all of the saftey switches, all check good. Found these tests for the coils,

[​IMG]

Did the Ignition coil check, and came up with....

Primary - jumped between .8 and 1.2 ohm

secondary - 19.18 ohm

So, I am guess it's the ignition coil since it's not in spec. Where is the control unit that the image shows? Does this engine have one? Anything else I should test before getting a coil?

Any help would be great!

2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

The single cylinder Kawasaki engines have both the ignition modules as well as igniters. Many times, it may be the igniter and not the coil it self.

3. TAC_Double

from SW Ohio

Any Idea where it's located? And how it could be tested.?

4. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 LawnSite Senior Member

Have you unplugged keyswitch/kill wire from under cover (white wire)?? If wiring is grounding out , you will lose spark. If you need a coil, replace with new style and you won't need ignitor. This is if it is even used on your model. Will be a silver 1 inch rectangular box with wires coming out of it usually mounted on the shroud. Good luck.

5. TAC_Double

from SW Ohio

I did try removing the white wire, no help. As for the ignitor, I don't see one. I do another set of wires under the shroud that lead under the flywheel.

Question on the coil, how clean should the leading edges be that ride next to the fly wheel? Mine are rusty, and how about the magnet on the fly wheel, it's a little rusty as well.

6. TAC_Double

from SW Ohio

This morning for fun, I cleaned up the coil. disconnected the white wire and put it back together and tried to start it. She chugged a little... so I pulled the plug and cleaned it... Tried it again. She fired right up, kicking out black smoke for about a minute. She ran for a few minutes till I messed with the throttle. The plug is all carboned up.

Any ideas?

7. Sharpcut 1

Sounds like your choke is sticking and not opening. Keep air cleaner off, when you move throttle, see if choke kicks off. These kaws are sensitive with the spark plug, once wet or fouled, you can clean forever, and it still will try to catch, but not run.

8. TAC_Double

from SW Ohio

Well I got it started. As long as I don't run the throttle past about 70% she runs. If I increase the throttle above that, she chucks, full throttle she dies. I have to keep the air cleaner off for it to run. When it's on it runs very poor.

Pulled the plug after it ran at 3/4 throttle for about 30 mins. Plug was good and clean. So I am thinking the carb may need a good cleaning. Sound about right?

9. Sharpcut 1

Yea, sounds like your main jet is somewhat plugged.

10. TAC_Double

from SW Ohio

Any idea where to find a good breakdown of that carb? I have looked all over.