1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Kawasaki FC420V Won't Start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by gsehntr, Aug 19, 2009.

1. gsehntr

gsehntr LawnSite Member

I am working on a riding lawn mower that has the FC420V Kawasaki engine that won't start. When turning over the engine, it acts like it is out of timing. I have spark, compression and the flywheel key is installed correctly and not broken. When I add fuel to the carb, the engine tries to back fire through the carb.

Any ideas?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Check the valves/push-rods and adjustment;

[​IMG]

3. gsehntr

gsehntr LawnSite Member

I adjusted valve clearance, one valve was at 8 and the other at 10. They are both at 6 now. Still doing the same thing????

Checked fuel and cleaned carb....

4. I MOW ALONE

I MOW ALONE LawnSite Bronze Member

throw a new plug in it i have had a plug give spark but do the same thing threw a new plug in and all fixed. these kaws are funny like that from my experience with them.

5. gsehntr

gsehntr LawnSite Member

What does the ignition trigger do for the system??? I will throw a plug in also.

6. Restrorob

The trigger/igniter/control module tells the coil when to fire, In most all cases when this fails it stops firing all together.....

7. gsehntr

gsehntr LawnSite Member

Just to let everyone know, I replaced the ignitor and coil, still didn't fix it. The spark plug replaced it and all works great. God Damn spark plug anyway????

8. I MOW ALONE

I MOW ALONE LawnSite Bronze Member

I knew it.why did'nt you try the plug first? Only a couple bucks.

9. Restrorob

Guess I stuttered in post #6..... [​IMG]