Kawasaki FD750 engine

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by metalmaker02, Oct 30, 2012.

1. metalmaker02

metalmaker02 LawnSite Member

I have a JD 777 with a Kawasaki FD750 water cooled engine. How many hours can I expect from this engine with good routine maintenance? Thinking of trading but might keep it if it has a lot of life expectancy remaining. Currently has 1400+ hours
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Bumpmaster

Bumpmaster LawnSite Fanatic

Should be trouble free for about 600 more hours. Then touch an go for the next 500. Probable would need some work done on it by then.

Just my two cents.

3. BPS##

BPS## LawnSite Senior Member
    from WY

I have one on a 04 that probably wasn't taken care of.

At 600 hours it was smoking like crazy. I bought it used and by the time
    I realized it was that bad the beginning of the season was upon us.
    I put over 200 more hours on it this summer and plan to have my mechanic
    tear into it soon and see whats going on.

4. metalmaker02

2000 hour life was my opinion as well. My 777 is a 2005 model. I bought new and have changed engine oil and filter every 60-70 hours. Always used Deere oil and filters, priced very competitively locally. The engine has never used any oil at all, I check it every day it is used. Currently has 40+ hours on the oil change and after a long day Saturday had used enough to be at the add make. No visible leaks. I am planning on pulling the spark plugs today to see of there is a difference in one cylinder vs the other. At this point not sure if it is the beginning of the end on the engine or really what is going on. Done mowing for the season now so I won't have any usage to verify the consumption. Any ideas?

5. BPS##

BPS## LawnSite Senior Member
    from WY

Engines use some oil, at the add mark at 40 hrs especially if its the first time wouldn't concern me until
    it becomes a habit. With fall clean ups etc maybe the air filters got a little
    dirtier than you usually keep them and that can cause the engine to suck air from where ever it can get it.

With the consumption mine ran this summer unless you can see it visibly smoking I would sure think you'd get another season out of it.
    I'd LOVE for mine to only use a quart in 40 hrs.
    More like a quart consumption in 3 hrs. It was really bad.

Unless you need the tax write off of a new one or just want a new one that bad you might consider rings, bearings and a valve job and keep running it.

6. metalmaker02

Pulled the plugs today. Both looked great. Think will run
    It and watch it. Seems to be one tome thing right now.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

This might surprise you, but average expected lifespan for that motor is 3500 to 4000 hours based on complete failures and rebuilds. The liquid cooled are rated longer than air cooled, and commercial air cooled average out 2500 to 3000.. i have seen failure at 7 hours, and they had a liquid cooled gas on a grasshoper at gie this year with 14000 on the motor
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. brandharro

brandharro LawnSite Member

With fall clean ups etc maybe the air filters got a little

9. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Compression and leak-down test will tell you a great deal, with the leak-down test telling you more. Have these test run, you may find the compression good, but one cylinder may have become iffy, and that is where the leak-down test will provide the most pertinent information.