Kawasaki FD750D Problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lakaduce, Jul 24, 2011.

1. lakaduce

lakaduce LawnSite Member

I recently purchased an Encore Prowler 72" mower with the Kawasaki FD750D 27HP Liquid-cooled engine. It has 369 hours.

I put about 12 hours on it and it was working perfectly, then the engine just quit like it ran out of gas, although I have a full tank. It will crank over but won't start. I checked the fuel pump and it was pumping fuel to the carburetor inlet. I pulled the plugs and checked spark, which was good. I can get it to run for a few seconds if I pour a small amount of gas down the carb throat. I pulled the jets and cleaned them with carb cleaner.

I can't figure out why it quit or how to get it back running.Anyone else have this issue or have ideas on what to check?

2. MONTE

MONTE LawnSite Senior Member

Is the electric fuel pump running?

3. lakaduce

lakaduce LawnSite Member

Fuel pump runs and squirts out fuel at the carb inlet. I also checked voltage to the fuel shutoff solenoid, although I can't hear or feel if the solenoid is opening. Should I be able to feel it click when I turn the key on?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. wade8017

wade8017 LawnSite Member

its the fuel shut off solenoid. mine did the same thing.

5. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

You see fuel into the carb, but is there any fuel out of the carb into the engine. You put gas into the spark plug hole and it will turn over. You might want to try keep pulling the starter without the spark plug ( to make it easier). You should smell gas near the spark plug hole after like 10 pulls. If not, you are not get gas from the carb.

Do you have compression? I figure you have seen the engine turn over with gas into cylinder. Anyway to check the valve train is moving to make sure the valves are ok? If all looks good, might just be the carb.

6. lakaduce

lakaduce LawnSite Member

After draining coolant, removing the radiator, fan and belt assembly, I was able to get to the shutoff solenoid I checked voltage and 12V was coming to it. I removed it and bench tested it per the service manual with a battery and it would not pop so I'm ordering a new solenoid. Easy and cheap fix but sure glad I'm not paying for the labor to get to it.

7. Capitollawncare

Capitollawncare LawnSite Member

I had the same problem. My dealer told me to just remove the solenoid and cut the pin off that stops the fuel. I did, and it seamed that everything was in order.
    The machine started and ran great for about 15 mins, then ran out of fuel. The tank was full, but it wasn't getting enough gas.
    1. I noticed when I turn the key forward I could hear the pump running, and if I let it pump for a minute, I could run the engine for 10 mins or so.
    2. I unhooked the hose at the carb and turned the key forward and noticed there is plenty of fuel coming out. I would replace the fuel pump but it just doesn't seam that is the problem.

Any suggestions?