kawasaki fh 500 v valve guide issue*help*

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by EARTH5, Jan 26, 2010.

1. EARTH5

EARTH5 LawnSite Member

i have a kawaski fh 500v i am rebuilding... upon inspection of the valve guides, it appears the exaust on each head has moved.. one of them i pushed out with a socket... does anyone know if they are replacable or not? also do i need 2 new heads to do that or what do u think. i am assuming they are a press fit so may not work if they are replacable??:confused:

2. sawinredneck

sawinredneck LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Look in the phone book and ask around for a COMPETENT cylinder head repair shop. They should be able to machine a guide they have in stock to fit it for around $30 a head.

3. EARTH5

EARTH5 LawnSite Member

thanks, ya my issue is the heads need to be ordered and they are about $125.00 each....ouch

4. sawinredneck

from Kansas

Been there, done that, call a cylinder head shop!

5. EARTH5

EARTH5 LawnSite Member

any others sugg...

6. crook038

crook038 LawnSite Member

I know some stake the guide using a punch. I have also heard of someone tack welding them in. I don't know how you do that with an aluminum head and steel guide? If you are going to replace the head anyways, why not try staking it first?
    Sean

7. EARTH5

EARTH5 LawnSite Member

im gonna f it....... whats to lose righjt

8. sawinredneck

from Kansas

I'm telling you, take it to a cylinder head shop! They can pull out the valve guide, machine one they have to fit it right and install it in a day for around $30. Good as new and it wont drop out like it will when you stake it in!

9. EARTH5

EARTH5 LawnSite Member

Ya broought it to local guy...he said its $100 ea to fix..... Its only $120 for a new one....im gonna try another guy...thanks,

10. sawinredneck

from Kansas

Thats too high, WAY to high! I see what you are saying now.