Kawasaki FH1000V

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnspecialties, Aug 19, 2006.

1. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Does anyone know much about Kawasaki's new 999cc engine coming out? The July issue of Landscape Management has a small write-up on it but nothing else. It does say it is a V-twin with 3 valves per cylinder and OHV. It doesn't say, however; how much horsepower? With it being a horizontal shaft model, I know Hustler won't use it :angry: but I'm sure those who will should have a "hoss" turning the blades.:D

2. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

If its a FH1000V its a vertical shaft...not horizontal. It would have to be an FH1000D to be Horizontal :)

[​IMG]

3. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

Wonder if its a 37 or 39 hp model?

4. lawnspecialties

You know, I don't know why in the world I was thinking horizontal. I think I was focusing on the "FH" part when I was trying to figure the specs out. Thanks for the correction.

Who knows? Maybe Hustler will finally get a decent powerplant for a 66" or 72" deck.:)

5. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

What do they use on them currently?

It looks like Briggs has some 30-36HP Vertical Shaft Vangaurds...

Looks like Kawasaki maxs at 25-26HP Vertical. And Kohler maxes at 28-30HP Vertical. I know Generac has some larger than 30HP but I wouldnt even consider them for a commercial machine.

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Impressive... but I sure hope it's fuel injected and reasonably priced.

According to my math... it should be 37hp.

7. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 28 generac on a 2003 M-72 tank, about 1400 hours on it. Doing good. Just don't get it wet.:)
    But its less then 30 hp. don't know about, like the 33 generac.

8. lawnspecialties

If memory serves me correct, the article did say it was carburated.

As for the other question, Hustler's biggest engine options are Kawasaki: 26hp and with Kohler: 30hp. I hear quite a few folks disappointed with the Kohler's on 66" and 72" decks. Me personally, I've always been a Kawasaki fan anyway. My 26hp liquid-cooled has been great but I'd definitely opt for more grunt if my deck size ever increased.:)

P.S. I don't even consider that Cat diesel an option.

9. Imow4u2

Imow4u2 LawnSite Senior Member

With the Super Z's it's not necessarily the deck size, but the terrain you're cutting. The speed is nice, But there are some hills that I cannot climb that are a walk in the park for my old Dixie.. As long as I'm on levelish ground I have no power issues... I wish Hustler would offer a regular Z with the E.F.I., the coolers and sus. seat...

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

That's my thinking too...
    I was thinking more along the lines of one with the Hustler AZT drive.