Kawasaki FH430V Valve Adjustment Hints

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by e2k, Aug 18, 2005.

1. e2k

e2k LawnSite Member

Hi,
    I've got a 2 year old Husqvarna with the 15hp Kawasaki twin. It's got about 50 hours on it, and the engine lost power, and wouldn't restart a few days ago..... I replaced spark plugs, checked out the carb, and finally opened up the valve covers, and one of the push rods had disconnected. I checked, and it's still straight, but after putting it back, there seems to be too much play. I ordered a manual, but it's going to take a week to get. I'd like to adjust the valves, but it's not quite clear how. I'm used to cars where the screw/lock nut are used. Any hints would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    -Eric
    (I saw the post with pictures for the bigger Kaw engines, but this engine seems to use a different type of adjustment)

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

This pic. shows the adjustment nut and the small lock screw in the center.
    Make sure that reference # 12011 Collet didn't drop off the valve stem when the rocker came off, Without this the rocker will be loose. Do not put oil on the valve stem before installing these collets doing so will throw your valve adjustment off, They will get ample oil when started. Adjust these valves at TDC compression stroke.
    I don't have time to download the manual and get valve specs. right now, but will tonite.

3. e2k

e2k LawnSite Member

Thank you very much. I didn't realize that there was a screw inside the "nut-92015". I'll double check on the 12011 part, but I think it's there. With a .004 feeler, there is some play, but not a lot.....
    -Eric

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Both the intake and exhaust should be set at .004 to .006