Kawasaki Fh500v HELP (Restrorob)

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Godfather, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Godfather

Godfather LawnSite Member

I have this engine on a 2003 scag 52 belt drivin walk behind. The engine has erformed great up to now. Without any load it will sound fine and dandy at full throtle, but when i engage the blades at 1/4 to 1/3 throtle it will almost stall. Then when i push the throttle all the way up, the engine takes about 10 seconds to respond and NEVER REACHES FULL SPEED.

During to day it randomly did reach Full Speed, which lasted until the mower was turned off, and i never knew when it would reach full speed again.

Any suggestions? Governor?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

First check all the throttle control levers/linkage for binding, Also the carb throttle shaft. I have seen sand/dust bind this shaft. Once all these are checked/spray lubed try it again.

If still no go move on to the governor adjustment as below;

[​IMG]

If still no go move on to checking the valve adjustments as below;

[​IMG]

Hopefully one of the above will get you back up and running.

Good Luck

3. Godfather

Godfather LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help. It was a bad coil, i am amazed that it sounded so good on one cylinder. Now it is time to change the Oil.

By the way, what is the reason for coils going bad?

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

My guess would be heat, It appears the vendor that builds Kawi's coils are not doing something right. Lack of insulation or something, I have never seen another brand engine eat coils like Kawasaki's, It seems they would find a solution to this.

But hey, They wouldn't make as much money if they did.....

This is one of on-line diagnosing down falls (can't hear/touch the engine) glad you found the problem......