Kawasaki FH680V-AS25 Testing Coils

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by elroach, Mar 13, 2012.

1. elroach

elroach LawnSite Member

This 23HP Kawasaki is on a Husqvarna iZ5223. Yesterday I had problems with the mower bogging down and cutting off when I was mulching up some leaves on the property.

So upon reading that this is possibly a coil issue, I took the two off and tried testing them with an Ohm meter. From the part closest to the flywheel to the lead to the spark plug I am reading about 13K ohms on both.

However going by the service manual I should be reading some continuity (10-30K ohm) from the spark plug lead to the other connect where wiring harness connects to the coil.

I am not using the kawasaki tester specified in the service manual, just a regular meter.

Can someone give me some feed back on this issue?

2. elroach

elroach LawnSite Member

Also, I notice one of the spark plug wires has a place where it appears a mouse has began chewing on the wire exposing the next layer.

I'm starting to think when the everything gets under load the cable is arching and not firing the spark plug.

Could I possible cover this section with shrink fit or liquid electrical tape to cure it?

3. elroach

elroach LawnSite Member

Bumping my old thread...4 years later and I'm having a similar issue again. Ive cleaned the carburetor but am having bogging issues.

After mowing for a couple minutes the engine will start to die, I will cut off the blades pull choke to catch it from cutting off and then it will idle fine. If I try to advance the throttle fast it will cut out then catch up.

I have the two coils off and have measured the resistance from each of the 3 leads as the manual states. Here are the measurements I get compared to the manual. Both coils measure roughly the same.

NC = No Continuity

-\+ A B C
    A - NC 13k
    B 7M - 7M
    C 13K NC -

Manual Says:
    Inf = Infinite
    -\+ A B C
    A - 2-18k 2-18k
    B Inf - Inf
    C 2-18k 2-30k -

4. leaver_red_jr

leaver_red_jr LawnSite Member

I've recently done the test on four different coils, and I've gotten results similar to yours. All four coils work, by the way. I did the tests with a Fluke 79 dmm. I also tested the diodes explicitly, and they all had a voltage drop of around 0.6 V as I recall.

Generally, forward-biased resistance of a good diode is 1 kohm - 10 mohm; hence your 7 mohm measurement. Maybe the batch of diodes that Kaw was using when they published their test results was on the low end of that spectrum.

5. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Put the coils in the machine. Get a spark tester. Plug spark tester in. Connect clamp to ground. Crank engine. If there is spark, coil is good. If not, check wiring(disconnect kill wire). Retest. If spark returns, the problem is in the wiring or possibly the other coil. If problem is only occuring when hot, test when coils are hot.

Resistance checks are all but useless on any of these coils. You can have one test bad and work perfectly fine or one test good and not work at all...