Kawasaki FH680V-ES09 runs rough

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Ru55ell, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Ru55ell

Ru55ell LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Wow, Great site! Glad I found it. I’m a homeowner with a problem with my mower. I worked lawn maintenance almost 4yrs during High School. I went into the NAVY where I was an Aircraft mechanic (F/A18s). I got my A&P (civilian licenses) and built simulators and worked on commercial aircraft. I now support wide area networks (???).

I have a Kawasaki FH680V-ES09 with 163 hours. I’m a homeowner and have owned the mower since new about 4 years. It started running rough and I thought I bought bad gas. I topped off the oil and it got worse. It’s loading up the cylinders with carbon and the plugs are saturated with deposits. I think I may have over filled the oil capacity. Through reading this forum it seems to be a problem with this engine. I remember in the past when I changed the oil as the seasons pass that I needed to keep the oil level a little on the low side. Otherwise the engine ran a little rough. I forgot this recently when I topped it off. I know I didn’t go over the full line on the dipstick. Anyway I’ve replaced the spark plugs and it keeps loading them up. It’s spitting black smoke out the exhaust. The air filter is relatively new. The fuel filter is a season old and looks a little dirty. I don’t believe I’m having a fuel supply problem. I’ve changed the gas and when I clean the plugs it runs good for about 5 minutes, until the plugs load up again. I removed the valve covers and the covers were retaining quite a bit of oil. I assume this is normal or a sign the oil capacity was overfilled. I can smell exhaust or gas in the oil on the dipstick faintly. I checked the fuel pump (a year old) and it seems not to be pumping gas into the crank case. The engine runs strong (until it loads up) and doesn’t backfire, make noise or stall.

I’m worried I have bad rings but both cylinders are exhibiting the same symptoms.

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

it really sounds as if your needle seat is sticking or bad. i would take the carb apart,spray out with brakleen,blow with compressed air,dump fuel tank,change fuel filter,reassemble and see what happens. your only out the money for new gas and brakleen.

3. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

OK a couple of things first WELCOME to LAWNSITE :drinkup: second knowing a navy aircraft mechanic fixing (F/A18s) can't figure out his lawn mower makes me feel a little better about my job :laugh: sorry I had to do it :laugh:
    third there are two A/F for this engine one for the internally vented carbs and one for the externally vented carbs you may have the wrong A/F on the unit if removed does it run differently?

4. Ru55ell

Ru55ell LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Thanks for the welcome, I'm good mechanic too. part of the reason is i'm good at finding resources. This site was paying off until you insulted me, Just kidding. Thanks for your reply.

It is and external air filter and it does run different when off but I havent run it lonng off. Are you suggesting I take the filter off, clean the plugs and see what it does?

GO NAVY :usflag:

5. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

i know mechanics that don't know nothing about diesels just gas. i don't know nothing about turbine engines but can ussually fix most piston engines. i don't understand my wife either. hope we all can help you with your engine.

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

[​IMG] To LawnSite also....

That would be a start but don't mow with it off. Also check your choke butterfly and make sure it is opening fully. The cable could have slipped in the hold down clamp.

If you have a plate with three screws holding it to the top of the carb. you should use part# 11013-7027 air filter,Without this plate will be part# 11013-7024.

Check it out and let us know what you run across.

7. Ru55ell

Ru55ell LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Thanks for the help thus far,,

update
    I pulled the valve covers off again and it wasn't full of oil like I described above. I then ran it with the covers off and I saw oil slinging. I shut it down and ran it in the garage with the air filter off. I cleaned the plugs before running it and they looked real good after. I used a #1 Philips and punched several holes in the back of the paper filter. I put everything back together and ran it in the yard. It ran real good. Checked the plugs again and they’re starting to blacken. I’m going to run up and get a new oil and air filter and run it. I’ll keep you informed.

8. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

The plug you need are BPR4ES gaped at (.030) the oil capacity with filter is 1.8qrts(30wt) and I would adjust your valves cold TDC .004"-.006"

9. Ru55ell

Ru55ell LawnSite Member
    from Florida

It's running better now:cool2: . I put the new fuel filter and air filter on and it runs like a champ:clapping: . The plugs are still loading up but i'll keep an eye on it. I think I'll run a couple of tanks of high octane and check the cylinders for carbon.

Wow, what a load off. I thought the worst:hammerhead: . Thanks for all the help.

10. Ru55ell

Ru55ell LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Noted, I'll do this maybe next year. I'm probably going to replace the spindles next year. My yard is 5 Acers of sand.
    Thanks a lot MowerMedic77.