1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kawasaki FJV180 KAI engine vs regular Kawasaki FJV180-any difference?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Feb 24, 2008.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

What's the difference between the FJV180 Kawasaki KAI engine and the regular FJV180 engine? Is one better than the other? Are both better than the honda gxv160?
  2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

That is the difference KAI Dual Element Air Cleaner.:waving:
  3. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

The Kawasaki is about a 8-10 year engine and the Honda is about 3-5 year engine.
  4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

8 yo 10 year engine? If thats the case then we have been getting screwed with all the kawajunk engines we have owned. :cry:
  5. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

that response is incorrect. The FJ180v has been a servicable vert shaft engine for 21 inch mowers by kawasaki.

The Kai Verision is no different then any other Kai version of any Kawasaki. Different air cleaner system.

The Kai Version are going to be on some never production Exmark stuff.

Basically, instead of having the flat panel filter with the floam outer, it has a round filter that sits up top.

That's it.
  6. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

Been told the KAI is a better engine but iam not so sure as if the only difference is the air filter , from running both i think the flat panel filter stayed cleaner
  7. brownsallseasonlandscape

brownsallseasonlandscape LawnSite Member

I would agree with chuck bow on the dirtyness of the air filter. However for other mechanical reasons I would rather have my old styles back.
  8. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

if you look on the website the kai has a the same torque at lower rpm or something like that i cant remember, but mostly the same, although we run standers with them and the kai feels stronger. look on the kaw website at specs of the two and compare as i did a few weeks ago and if you look at the #s you will see a couple of different ones in the rpm and torque ratings , but you have to look very close as it is not much of a difference
  9. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

the flat panel ones were a NIGHTMARE. More engines have failed because of the poor design.

The KAI engines came about because Exmark refused to put anymore kawi's on their product untill the didn't something about the air filters......the KAI was born.

The panel filters were held in place by the covers. If the lids weren't on right or tight......which they normally were, the engine was ingesting dirt. It was first thought Kawasaki was having head issues. Turns out, it was just ingesting a rediculous amount of dirt!!!

The KAI engines have the best air filter system and sealing out there IMO.