Kawasaki FS481-V problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jaybow, Mar 24, 2014.

1. jaybow

jaybow LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mi

I have an FS481-V on a Exmark Metro 32" that is giving me problems. First thing it started doing is making a snapping noise from the exhaust but still had power. I accidentaly broke the fuel pump fooling with it in the cold. It broke being brittle do to the cold while I was trying to remove the breather filter. I ordered a fuel pump for it thinking they are all similar and got the wrong one first time. I now have the right one but im not sure what the deal is. Im wondering if I have a blown head gasket. Either that or its where I tried the wrong fuel pump and it pumped gas the wrong way into the crankcase. Im frustrated with this engine and ready to scrap it. Is there a common problem with these newer Kawasaki engines? Im thinking of going to all Briggs Vanguards and Kohlers at this point.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

The only way I know of fuel getting into the crankcase is if the fuel pump diaphragm is blown/leaking, Or the float needle valve in the carb isn't seating. If you have a new pump you may need to clean the carb and replace the needle valve if it continues to fill the crankcase with fuel.....

As for the "snapping" noise, Have you ever checked the valve clearances ?

3. jaybow

from Mi

I did check the clearances, they seemed fine. This engine only has probably between 100 - 150 hours on it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. jaybow

from Mi

I had the older model 16hp Kawasaki with 500hrs and no problems. Its disappointing.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I have 3 FH series and have had cronic coil problems, don't know if that will help.

The problems were usually intermininate so it was difficult to diagnoise.

6. jaybow

from Mi

Did the coil problems cause a snapping from the exhaust? So you replaced the coil and it solved the problem?

7. Jeff in AL

Jeff in AL LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

No, no more problems with Kawasaki then any other engine manufacturer. They ALL have/have had their share of problems, in my opinion!

How old is the engine?
    Is it still under warranty?
    What is the Engine Spec. and Serial Number?

The common issues I have seen with this series has been Choke Shaft, Ignition Coils and Rocker Arm issues... There are Service Bulletins on the above, but not all engines apply to them. It depends on the Spec and Serial.

Then again, none of the above may have anything to do with the issue you are having and you may have a completely different problem...

8. jaybow

from Mi

I will get the serial number for you in the morning. What is the Spec. Number, is that on the same tag or place as the serial.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Jeff in AL

Jeff in AL LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Model, Spec. and Serial are all on the same tag...

Your Model is FS481V

Spec. would start with AS or BS and have 2 more numbers... Example, AS11

Serial would start with FS481VXXXXXX... "X" 's would start with a letter and the rest numbers... Example, FS481VA12345

10. jaybow

from Mi

Ok thanks
    Posted via Mobile Device