Kawasaki FS481v backfiring and sputtering - help

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by BIGDOGMN73, Aug 5, 2012.

1. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Heres the deal.
    I had the same symptoms as your having.
    I changed the spark pulgs because I figured after 800 hours it might need it anyway, made no difference. So I took the air cleaner housing off and saw the casting plug had had came out,,,

I dont know if the plug comes in a curaburator kit, but the curaburator is 180$ and Im cheap so I thought about how to fix it.

The main carburator jet goes through up to where the plug goes and it looked like there were passeges so some sort of plug was neccesary.

I wound up <DONT LAUGH> taking a small split lead fishing weight and breaking it in half filed on it till it could be tapped into the carburator, then took some 2 part epoxy and put it on top so the plug wont fall out. It has worke for about 6 weeks so Im sure its a permant repair.

2. BIGDOGMN73

BIGDOGMN73 LawnSite Member

Are intake gaskets a big deal? The thing runs strong.

3. BIGDOGMN73

I'll give that a try.

4. BIGDOGMN73

So I followed up with my local engine guy who did the following:
    1) Checked the compression which was normal
    2) adjusted the carb
    3) adjusted the values

Engine is still backfiring.
    After he was done he said it could the ignition coil is weak, but not showing on the test or maybe the value is sticking.
    So I replaced BOTH ignition coils and it seems like the issue is WORSE. Before it would just back fire here and there if the engine wasn't at full load, but after replacing both it seems to backfire at full load all the time. Full load meaning throttle full, blades engaged and I'm on a sulky. Any other idea's outside getting into the values which doesn't sound like fun and doesn't sound cheap.

5. jaybow

jaybow LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mi

My 32" metro is doing the same thing, did you ever solve the problem?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. jaybow

from Mi

Mine has the FS481V. I'm gonna guess it only has just over 100 hrs.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. jaybow

from Mi

I know the thread is older, but I'm wondering if you ever figured out the problem, I have the same thing going on. I've replaced the plugs, and adjusted the valves.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. jaybow

from Mi

Mine started doing this at the very end of the season, when I was doing a cleanup in pretty cold weather, I'm gonna say around 32 degrees. Could it just be bad gas? I haven't fooled with it much, that was the last cleanup of the year when it started.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. terrabites

terrabites LawnSite Member

I'm starting to have a similar problem. At first started spitting/sputtering at idle, now seems to be running rough at full throttle/load. Its got about 250 hours on it. I've changed plugs. Have never touched the carb though.

10. jaybow

from Mi

Mine was a bad intake gasket, it was a cheap easy fix.