Kawasaki FX850

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by trooper8870, Nov 6, 2013.

1. trooper8870

trooper8870 LawnSite Member

Who has this engine on there mower? What is your mower brand and deck size? What is your fuel usage per hour?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I've got one. Gravely 260.

Over 800 hours now. No problems like most Kawasakis out there. No clue about fuel usage per hour. I really don't keep track of that.

3. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Z950A, 60" MOD deck. Average 1.5-1.7 GPH under most conditions in any kind of grass. Maybe close to 2 GPH mulching heavy wet leaves.

4. trooper8870

The reason i am looking for feedback is that i have two hustler units (2012 super z's with hyper drive, 60" deck) that have this engine. I am using over 2 gallons per hour through these units. One is not as bad as the other, but one of the units is absolutely sick. It will bog down mowing a slight incline. Seems as though the hydros are robbing so much hp that the mowers are suffering greatly to keep up. Wondering if anyone else sees this in their machines with this engine and deck size?

5. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Those huge hydros on the SZ will def rob HP. I've read plenty of posts here about that issue with the 850. It runs my deck in mulch mode in heavy wet leaves with no problem.

6. trooper8870

I feel as though that is the problem. Not enough HP to operate pumps and deck as well. I am considering putting a FX1000 on one of the units to see if that will do the trick. I just hate to take an engine off that only has 350 hours on it. You know, you would think Hustler would have known this and not even offerred that mower with that engine size.

7. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

The 35 such as I'm running on a Super Z HyperDrive with a 72" deck will handle your lack of power situation with no problem, but this engine does like in the 2 gph range of fuel to satisfy its need for the additional power. This fuel usage would not affect a person as badly when cutting large areas, and this is for the fact there can be such a large amount of grass cut with the 2 gals. of fuel used. I can easily cut 40% more grass in open areas than a mower equipped with a 60" deck cutting in the 10 to 11 mph range.

8. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

I just posted this in another thread…

I have a 2014 Huster X-One with a 60" deck. Gas usage is around 2 GPH (I'm a slow mower).

9. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

That is a large number for fuel usage with a 27 hp engine, especially when knowing I've never seen my 35 hp Super Z, with the HyperDrive and 72" deck go over 2 gph. I'm thinking the mowers hydraulics are pulling heavy on the smaller engine causing it to use excessive fuel, whereas my 35 handles the hydraulics along with the larger deck much easier.

10. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll have to try to record some more accurate fuel numbers. "Around 2 GPH" is just a rough guess.