Kawasaki fx921v hesitates when throttling/pto engage

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ztrguy, Apr 26, 2013.

1. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

I have a Kawasaki engine FX921v that sputters/hesitates for a second or so when you throttle it up or engage the pto. What would cause this? It does it for a second or two and then clears up. Any ideas?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Pull the choke out slightly and see if it goes away, If so the carb is running a bit lean and likely in need of a tear-down cleaning......

3. ztrguy

from NE FL

Thanks for the reply. It happens so quick it's kinda hard to tell by pulling the choke out, but I'll mess with it tomorrow and see if it makes a difference. Thanks again!

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

With the choke slightly out and you gun the throttle with no sputter/hesitation "There's your sign".......

5. ztrguy

from NE FL

Ok, I will try first thing in the morning and let you know the results. I've never had any issues with the mower up until this point.

6. ztrguy

from NE FL

I checked this morning on the choke and nothing seemed to make any difference on the hesitation.

This is a twin cylinder engine, so I went ahead and pulled the plug wire off from one cylinder. The mower fired up and ran a little rough, but not enough to really notice. Then I pulled the plug wire from the other cylinder. This time the mower wouldn't even fire up and run. Is it safe to say that the problem is the ignition module?

7. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

check your valves. they may need adjustment. something happened to mine at 299hrs and it bent a pushrod. it felt like i was running on 1 cylinder. the valves had gotten out of adjustment and caused the bent pushrod. it was fixed under warranty for free though.

it seemed to run funny the whole time though not just on startup. when i engaged the pto it was real slow and took a long time to get up to speed. it was just lacking power because of the pushrod problem.

8. ztrguy

from NE FL

Ended up being ignition module for those that experience the same problem.
    Posted via Mobile Device