kawasaki guy's Work, equipment, and stripes

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by kawasaki guy, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Those things run forever but I never liked the way they set one front wheel back...you can tip the machine and scalp if you're not careful. Good score if you have a use for it.

2. kawasaki guy

kawasaki guy LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S. New Jersey

I noticed the scalping issue when I tested it out on my own lawn. This thing was underwater from sandy, an all it needed was a little bit of starter fluid to get it running. Starts first pull every time!

3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

The reason for the staggered wheel arrangement is so that the mower does NOT scalp.

I used one for many years, and found the staggered wheel arrangement the best for a smooth cut. It is better than any standard four-wheel arrangement. It fits the ground contours better than any other mower.

4. kawasaki guy

Male, from S. New Jersey

I was cutting a lawn at 2-2.5" and the thing kept scalping the grass.

5. kawasaki guy

Male, from S. New Jersey

Here is a new fleet picture ( forgot to put in the saws)

DSC03061.JPG

6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

If you are NJ, your grasses are probably northern cool weather grasses, right?

At 2.0-2.5", that is a very low cutting height for these grasses. What was the cutting height through the season, and how much did the height change for this cut?

You and I probably have similar grasses. I cut at 3.0-3.5 for most of the season, but intend to make last cut at 2.5. 2.0 would look like it was scalped. In fact, sometimes 2.5 will leave a few places that look scalped -- yellow/brown undergrowth is showing. For those I cut at 3.75-4.0 for the season, making the last cut at 2.75 is as low as I can cut for last mowing, and sometimes that is a struggle, and exposes yellow/brown undergrowth.

7. kawasaki guy

Male, from S. New Jersey

The grass stayed green all summer when I cut it at that height. This is about the height most of the guys around here cut it at.

8. Exmarkboy13

Exmarkboy13 LawnSite Senior Member

I have to agree. We cut at 3.5 to 4.0 and drop it down to 1.5-2.0 for the last cut. Depends on the grass though (Kentucky blue, tall fescue, rye grass mix)

9. Kkane97

Kkane97 LawnSite Senior Member

I do 2.0 for the last.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. kawasaki guy

Male, from S. New Jersey

I have no clue what I cut at last season. Next year, I am going to cut at 2.75/3.0"