Kawasaki KTR27A or Echo SRM260

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ajordan193, Apr 22, 2007.

1. ajordan193

ajordan193 LawnSite Senior Member
    from WNY

Looking to get another trimmer and i am undecided between the Kawasaki KTR27A or the Echo SRM260. Would like some input on which one would be the better buy. Thanks in advance.

2. SSS 18734

SSS 18734 LawnSite Member

I just purchased the Kawasaki and its a pretty nice unit, especially for $270. More than enough power for anything I would ever need in terms of weekly maintenance and not too bad overgrowth. Very light too. I looked at the Echo but saw no reason to spend the extra 50 dollars on it over the Kawasaki.

If you go Kawasaki, buy the KGT27A, not the KTR27A. The KGT is a commercial unit whereas the KTR is not.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The Echo SRN 260 is good and the 261T is better(little heavier) if you are going to pull a long cord. Both of these units have adjustable carb and are still pure and simple two stroke engines. The best thing is to ask somebody in the repair shop at the dealer he will let you know about any problems with either unit. I

4. vanguard

vanguard LawnSite Member

If you go Kawasaki, buy the KGT27A, not the KTR27A. The KGT is a commercial unit whereas the KTR is not.[/QUOTE]

We've used one commercially for over 150 hours! The big difference is a flex shaft (KTR) and the solid shaft (KGT) I bought the one we have in a pinch for around $200 and it's been worth every little penny!!! payup

5. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

I have 4 Ktr 27A's and love them. They are the first trimmers that I haven't had carb issues with. I did change to Amsoil 100:1 though and I know that has cut down on the carbon buildup. I haven't had any trouble with the flex shafts either. If your not running the blades or other things you'll be just fine. They also carry a 1 year commercial warranty. I don't believe the other companies are that long. I got mine on ebay at Big Sky Power Equipment for around $230

6. Rizzo

Rizzo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

I have been happy with my echo pas 260. Echo has a 2 year commercial warranty and 5 year residential warranty. Are you looking at them from the same dealer?

7. ajordan193

ajordan193 LawnSite Senior Member
    from WNY

Kawasaki i can get off of ebay for $225 and the echo is from my local dealer. still not sure on my decision.

8. Rizzo

Rizzo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Money is money but it's nice having a local dealer and no shipping... The echo warranty is double the kawasaki. I do like ebay also though...

9. totallawncare912

totallawncare912 LawnSite Member

Kawasaki All The Way I Have 2 Of The Kgt27a Trimmers And A Kel27a Edger Love Them All Start In 1 Pull Everytime.

10. 1cooltreeguy

1cooltreeguy LawnSite Senior Member

Is the KGT series the replacement of the KBL series? How is the vibration on the KGT - BKL has very little vibration and that is what we run. We have 9 KBL trimmers - getting hard to find and I think KAW is phazing them out fot the KGT series?