kawasaki LC26 running lean

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rotax1, Apr 30, 2007.

1. rotax1

rotax1 LawnSite Member

I just bought a new scag wildcat powered by a Kawasaki LC 26. It seems like it runs vary lean. If I try to engage the PTO at anything less then full throttle it kills it unless I bump the choke as I engage the pto. (LEAN MIXTURE)Is this normal for the new smog motors or do I have a problem? Has any one else had this problem?

2. tnpete

tnpete LawnSite Member
    from West Tn

My Motor is the same way.
    Pete

3. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

This is not normal for kawi motor, I run 23 kawi on my 52" Gravely, I always engage blade @ 3/4 throttle (my mech said to keep belt &pulley& pumps healthy) before running & cutting at full throttle. It never acts like what you said. All my kawi run on 10w-30 amsoil.

4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I have two of those motors and they have never done that. I do have to run it about 50%-60% throttle to engage the blades, though. When the motor's fairly cold, I may have to run it a little higher but once it's warmed up, 50% throttle is a plenty.:)

5. wall

wall LawnSite Member

Better get that checked out, If the engine is running lean it will cause it to run at a higher than normal temperature. Does it do this after the engine has warmed up? I have a 19 hp Kaw and I warm up my engine for a few minutes then engage the clutch at about ½ throttle no problem. Call your Scag dealer ASAP. Don’t cook a new engine.

6. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same engine on mine and have noticed the same thing. I think the owners manal says use about 3/4 throttle to engage blades. I found I can engage blades at a slower speed by giving in aboue half the choke setting.

The engine is water cooled and the temp gauge stays centered in the green the whole time I am mowing, so I don't think it is overheating.

7. TAZ

TAZ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I have the same motor and it does the same thing also. I just choke it to engage the blades when it's cold. When it's warm it doesn't do it as bad.

-TAZ