Kawasaki Mules?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Kingspointe, Jun 21, 2003.

1. Kingspointe

Kingspointe LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if any of you use kawasaki mules for landscaping. These machines are built pretty strong, and also come in 4wd. They have beds that tilt, and I've heard of guys using wood to make them 6ft long. These would be great with mulch jobs or other areas to transport material back and forth. Just wondering if you guys have any opinions!

Thank you

Zoran Ploscar
    Kingspointe Services, Inc.
  2. deere ZTR

deere ZTR LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Check out the Polaris Ranger pretty close to a mule but has a couple things the mule doesnt. The Ranger will run 45mph.
  3. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

We have one, haven't used it a whole lot for work, but it is great, and a lot of fun. You can get an electric lift on the bed if you want.

It will pull up to 1200 lb I believe.

The Ranger is also impressive, the bed on it is probably a little higher than the Mule. The Ranger seems to be a little more rugged - more off road ready, if you will. The bed on these machines is not very large, but you could add sides or extensions fairly easily.

Either one would be a handy machine to have if you have a use for it.

If I were doing mulch jobs or hauling dirt or rocks, I would probably go with the electric lift on the bed.
  4. azturfpro

azturfpro LawnSite Member
    from arizona

I use John Deere Gators where I work . I have used mules before but had way too much down time and too many expensive repair bills .
  5. deere ZTR

deere ZTR LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

My local Honda dealer said that Honda was going to be comeing out with a machine like that as well more like a ranger or a mule than a gator.
  6. exmarkhp

exmarkhp LawnSite Member
    from Maine

how about a yamaha rhino they do about 45 and work good also
  7. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

do any of those have a selectable live axle? my father is interested in a 4x4 mule-like machine that won't tear up his lawn, but still be able to get through the woods or the mud.
  8. lars

lars LawnSite Member

Golf courses live and die by utility vehilcles. They are absolutely great at moving materials over grass. I'm assuming on your jobs you can't drive a truck to where you want to go. If that's the case, go with a utility vehicle.

That said, the Mule is a good choice, probably the best up until this year. However, the new machine of choice is by Kubota. It's diesel, capacites are similar to the largest Mules, it's 4wd, and most importantly the new transmission is revolutionary. If you're in the market, you need to check this out. We're getting one this summer. I can't wait.

You could try the Bobcat ToolCat too. It's a loader / UV combination. It's capicity is a little bigger than the Mule / Kubota and it's sure to be more pricey. I'm not sure how you load the bed with the loader though.....mabye you get the loader goning fast enough and flip it over the cab:p

9. Luscious Lawns

Luscious Lawns LawnSite Member

Yes Buddy...Toolcat and Kubota..

I checked these out at Pro Day here in Atl. Man........ are these machines nice but they are pricey. It does seem the they would make the Toolcat capable of self loading though.

We use a 4wd Mule a lot to do hauling around the larger projects. The dump bed is great and they are selectable 2 or 4 wheel drive. But eigher way they are a big machine and you have to be careful on finish turf not to rut it. The Mule is a little slow on the long run hauling clippings to the compost area about 1/4 mile from the finish turf area LOL

10. bottlefed89

bottlefed89 LawnSite Member

I love the toolcat, but doubt I'll ever need one. At the farm at school, we get a new gator every year, I think you could do most things with one. The school's maintenance crew has a bunch of mules. I think they get those for the enclosed cab. They're always runnin around doing nothing..... But the 10 guys they pay to do the turf care manage to keep it pretty nice.