Kawasaki oil drain

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scott's Lawn Maintenance, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Scott's Lawn Maintenance

Scott's Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

Does kawasaki make a oil drain extension for their engines ? Looked into the drainzits kit but they do not show the kawasaki engines .

2. Clark Griswold

Clark Griswold LawnSite Senior Member

My 22 has a plastic tube that extends down into a oil drain pan, I just leave it on all time & never take it off!

3. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

I spent a couple of hrs a while back looking for an oil drain for my 26hp LC Kawi and found a couple that were around 35.00. I came to the conclusion that the best way to do it is to go the hardware store and fab one up. I'd suggest you either take the oil plug w/you, or, if you have a nut/bolt gauge, measure the dia and thread count of the oil plug to get started. Should be very easy to do. I think (not sure) the threads are the same as regular galvanized pipe thread, so just get a nipple, a valve, some clamps and rubber hose. I'd keep the nipple coming out of the engine pretty short to minimize the chance of breaking it off.

4. Green Machine Mowing

Green Machine Mowing LawnSite Member

The Kawi in my quick trak has a little brass valve in place of the drain plug, I picked up some rubber hose, slid it over the barbs temporarily then cracked the valve w/ an end wrench, it is a really slick setup, I think maybe John Deere ordered that setup from kawi because the way the engine sits in there you have to do it that way to prevent a huge oil mes everywhere at every oil change.

Thats something you may look into

5. Dogbonz

Dogbonz LawnSite Senior Member

The Gravely ZTXL I just bought has a tube that extends the drain to past the frame for a no mess oil change. Kaw 24 engine

6. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

My Scag Wildcat came with a valve ( need a open wrachet wrench to operate it best) that dispenses used oil straight down. Trouble is it runs all over frame so I put a piece of hose so I can directed it where I want.

7. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

plugs are crap. most mowers we have used came with a valve and or a hose(if not, irrigation flex tufing for heads works very well). recently came across the one used on my new gradstand 24kawi. different but effective. i hope it doesnt leak as it almost seems like it would after a while.

we have on a rare occasson made our own and is annoying to do but simple and worth it.

8. Dogbonz

Dogbonz LawnSite Senior Member

9. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

fumoto is what I was trying to think about. I have one on my big Honda generator, pressure washer, and one on my F-250 diesel truck. They can be had with a nipple outlet so a hose can be added to direct the oil to a better location.

10. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Kawasaki makes an oil drain adapter for the air cooled V-twins. It goes from their o-ring/threads to a normal pipe thread to which you can attach anything you dream up at the hardware store or a Drainzit.