1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kawasaki oil leak

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by JeffNY, May 3, 2013.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY LawnSite Senior Member

Is this a common place for a leak? I know, I need to clean it off, and wipe it all down, to find the exact source, but just putting a little feeler out there.

2. weed wacker 2

weed wacker 2 LawnSite Member

Yep, I have one on a gravely that has been leaking for a couple of years. The gasket has been replaced once but it went to leaking again not long after.
  3. JeffNY

JeffNY LawnSite Senior Member

I really hope I have to take the motor off and change the gasket, that would be really fun to do this time of year....
  4. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

Could be the gov shaft seal. Clean it off and find out.
  5. rreyn1812

rreyn1812 LawnSite Senior Member

I had this leak on my 27HP Kawa in a John Deere Ztrak. The dealer replaced it for just few bucks. Hasn't leaked since.
  6. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

I am curious to find out what it takes to replace that governor shaft seal, at least one of mine leaks that way...
    On the one hand it ought to be a simple procedure, on the other it about looks as if the whole engine has to come apart...
  7. rreyn1812

Know what you mean. I was afraid that it was going to be an expensive repair, but I had the machine in for it's 600 hr maintenance, and I mentioned the leak and asked what it would take to repair, and the technician said it only took a few minutes to replace and would only add about $5 to the bill, so I said go ahead. The leak wasn't bad, but it was more annoying than anything else (I don't like leaks). If it had been a "tear down the engine" type of repair, it wouldn't have been worth it.
  8. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

That's pressing it a bit. If accessible it should take about 15-20 min.
  9. rreyn1812

Well, I had the maintenance done during the winter when they are just trying to keep their tech's busy and offer special pricing for their maintenance package, so maybe they just gave me a good deal.
  10. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

I know how you feel, I had a FX 801 that was leaking there last year. It really is a simple fix. All you need to do is remove the hardware from the governor shaft, it slid right off after loosening the nut. I have transmission seal removers for working on 2 cycle seals so I used one of them, popped the seal right out.

Slid the new seal on the shaft to start it in the right alinement, then took a small 1/4 socket the same size as the seal and gently tapped it it. Put the hardware back on and tightened the nut, done.

Thank You Slapper :waving:
    ericg likes this.