kawasaki or Vanguard

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by WilsonBoud, May 22, 2013.

1. WilsonBoud

WilsonBoud LawnSite Member

HELP......!!!!!

I have pretty much decided that the Ferris IS2000Z will best serve my future mowing needs....!

BUT.... the decision of the engine is another matter. I read issues concerning Kawasaki. Then I read posts indicating that Kawasaki is the best out there.

Then along comes many posts indicating Vanguard to be the very best.

Please help....... Kawa or Vanguard .......???

:usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I love Kawi's. I've owned many of them- AC, LC and EFI. Never had a problem with any of them. However, if I bought a new machine and had a choice, the Vaguard would be my first pick.

The only real problem that I know of that was fairly wide spread regarding Kawi's were the two BB engines had vale and head issues when they first came out, but that has been fixed for a couple/few years now.

3. ashgrove landscaping

ashgrove landscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Vanguard my man !! No question. Much nicer engine. Ive had them both and the vg is the cats asz

4. Choppin

Choppin LawnSite Senior Member

32 vanguard
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

That's get my vote also.

I would look at the 3100.

6. WilsonBoud

We roll measured yesterday. Although we have 5.5 acre, we are cutting only 3.25 acres. I think the IS3100Z would be a waste on additional money. The 2000 is already perhaps a little too big.....thanks anyway.

7. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

To be fair to PLS-Tx, you didn't specify in you OP that you are a HO and only cutting your own property. Since this is a commercial cutting forum, it always helps to make that distinction so that folks can give you the best pertinent advice..

8. WilsonBoud

This is so true.... In my research, I have posted "so much" in my attempt to find "my perfect mower", that I forget my place...... sorry.....

Thanks in advance for all the info.

9. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Oh ok, your a homeowner. Then the 2000 would be more than enough. We have a 2000 with about 700 hours and it has done great.

I doubt I would buy another 2000 for what we do but for you yes it would do just fine.

Your going to like it. Your back will thank you.

10. lilguy

lilguy LawnSite Member

Back to engines. I too am looking at a home mowers and will demo a Ferris 2000 this week. Looking for the easiest ride but left gas engines in early 80's
    for Kubota diesels, so this mower will aid cutting arounds trees. So far most of the engines I've seen are the Kawasaki's. Is there a general consensus that one
    Engine builder is better than another or is it personal preference?