Kawasaki owners PLEASE help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Can those of you that have 17hp & 19hp Kawi's help me out?

How much do you think it's really worth ($) to upgrade from a 17 to a 19?

I have NO prior experience with Kawi engines. All I have ever owned is Kolher and Briggs. With some Kolher engines I have noticed little or no difference between 2 HP. With Briggs, I have seen one labled 17hp and an identical one labeled 21hp. So no difference but the sticker. I don't know if this is the case with Kawi or not.

I'm excluding brand names and giving correct or approximate figures for reasons that should be obvious. TO PREVENT A BRAND WAR.

Now to the specifics of what the engine load will be...

Mower A 17hp 44" cut, 23x9.5-12 tires, around 1000lbs

Mower B 19hp 44" cut, 20x10-10 tires, around 1000lbs

Mower C 17hp 48" cut, 20x10-10 tires, around 800 lbs

I weigh 200 lbs I'd I will be running a mulch kit most of the time.

I tried to take those numbers and figure out where each mower ranked as far as engine load is conserned so I wouldn't have to post all this. But all I did is confuse myself.

:blush:

Please help, because if everything goes as planned I need to snatch one of these ASAP!

2. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I have 17kaw on 48"WB it has been excellent engine, however , what a 17 will do, a 19 will do better!:eek:

3. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

envy,
    I have a 17 KAW on a Lazer hp 44" with a micro mulch kit. The machine and engine have both been trouble free in their first 300 hours. I do wish I had more horsepower because it will bog when mulching leaves and leave some blades uncut on thick or damp lawns. At it stands, I rate my mower with a 'B'. If I could get an anti blow out baffle for the 44" I'd rate it an '' A". If I had a 19 KAW on it it would be an 'A+'. Hope this helps.

4. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

I copied some torque #'s that someone else posted.

KAW 15.......25.5
    KAW 17.......27.3
    KAW 19.......37.0
    KAW 21.......38.4

I am by no means a motorhead, but it sure looks like there's a BIG power difference between the 17 and the 19.

5. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm by no means an expert on any of this, but my dealer and I were going over some of the specs in his books 'cause I had a similar question.

If I remember right on the Kaws.

The 15 and 17 are the same except for carburetor jets.
    then the 19 and 21 are the same.
    then the 23 and 25 are the same.

That may explain the difference in the torque #s.

The 15and 17 are close, and the 19 and 21 are close , but the 17 and 19 is a big jump.

6. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

I believe this was also mentioned some months ago here on LS..... but I also think that someone replied at that time that there are exhaust differences also, or other changes to be made.

I was interested because I have a 23, and if I could get 25 HP without much difficulty, I'd do it.

Back to the original dilemma at hand..... What is the price difference on these machines in question.
    If not a great difference (all Kawi), I would go bigger. Better to have and not need, rather than the other way around.

7. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

why is this thread bumped?

8. lawn_solutions

lawn_solutions LawnSite Member

I made a similar decision last season for my walkbehinds. I run all Ferris walkbehinds and was purchasing some new units. I opted out for the 23hp because of the extra power. I think that the extra power comes into play in the spring when the grass grows about an inch a day in some places. I like to be able to provide a quality clean cut all of the time. The only disadvantage with the 23 was that all of the motors lost a coil when it was extremely hot. Just my 2 cents

9. lawn_solutions

lawn_solutions LawnSite Member

All my walkbehinds with 23 are 52".

10. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

How much of a price difference is there? I'd still lean towards the 19hp because of the huge torque advantage.