Kawasaki Piston Rings

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by burlap, Mar 15, 2006.

1. burlap

burlap LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I'm replacing the rings in a Kaw FC 540 V. It's obvious which rings are the oil rings and where they go-lowest or last. But it seems the first two rings are identical. The JD manual says the first two should be placed in one and two with the "R" facing up on both. The manual however shows a slightly different profile on the first two in a diagram in the manual. Nothing is said about which one goes first or how I would identify any differences. They appear to be identical and measure the same thickness. Any ideas, Burlap

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe this picture shows what you need, The rounded edge ring goes in the top groove and notice which way the tapper is facing on the second ring. Of course with the "R" up.

Attached Files:

3. burlap

burlap LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Thanks for your help. That is the profile the manual shows. Looking as closely as I can I see no difference between the two JD sent me- I wonder if JD is giving me something generic. Both rings seem to have 90 degree edges Maybe rings from Kawasaki would be different. I don't know that I dare try to use them. This is for a F 525 and a real pain to get at. I'll study them again in the morning. Burlap