Kawasaki Problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HacMan91, May 21, 2002.

1. HacMan91

HacMan91 LawnSite Member

Any of you guys having problems with you kaw motors. Ive got a exmark 52" with 23 Kaw. Its been running kind of bad, blowing some black smoke and sputtering. Gas is clean and no water in the fuel. My dealer says the air filter is dirty causing the motor to run rich which blackens up the spark plugs. I keep great maintenance on my mowers especially filters. I put a new filter and plugs in today, runs like new. My dealer says as dry as its been down here I need to change prefilters every 3 or 4 days because the Kaw is a high performance engine and is more sensitive. He said he's seen several in with the same problem. The filter I changed today looked pretty good. Ive seen alot of threads on problems with Kohlers. Ive had 3 mowers with Kohlers and never had a problem like this, theyre not this temperamental.:confused:

2. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

I've never had a problem with either of our two 23 HP kawasaki's.(both on 61" ZTR's)

3. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

I had problems with a 17hp Kaw that also kept blowing black smoke. Dealer also said it was dirty air filter in the beginning. Turned out to be bad coils. Three sets of bad coils to be exact. Kawasaki has apparantly had an ongoing problem with coils. You may want to check that route. Good luck.

4. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

I was told by the mechanic at Lesco to check the foam pre-f almost daily when it's real dry. I had some major problems a year or so back. They replaced the carb.
    I have several back-ups(foam) that I keep in my tool-box,all oiled up and ready to use. These big Kaw's are moody.:D
    Also carry several fuel filters and some extra plugs,just in case.

(C4...Just had a coil on mine replaced.Was running on one cylinder. Sounded like one of the old JD tractors!)

5. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Just had the 17 HP Kawi on my WB replaced (thank God under warranty). The top bearing went on it. It still ran ok but was leaking a good bit of oil.

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I change the pre filter on my 23 kawi almost daily. They do get very dirty. Exmark factory rep told me to do this.

7. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

would these coils sometimes cause the mower to flood and backfire really really loud (like a black powder rifle) and not start?

8. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

Mike,

The coils would absolutely cause this because when the coils fail the fuel is not completly burned therefore causing the backfire. Very weak coils would also cause either hard starts or no starts at all.

9. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

hmmm, well the idle is very choppy when it did start. anything over half throttle and it is fine. i parked it the other day (thank GOD my exmark wasn't in front of it, it's a 48" WB hydro) and it hasn't started since. gonna shoot some carb cleaner and starting fluid in it tomorrow just to make sure. if not i guess i'll check for a good spark to see if maybe it is the coil. 14hp single cyl. kawi.

thanks for the info.

10. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines LawnSite Member

I have a 12.5 HP that is 4 years old that was running choppy and losing power, found out that there is some sort of ring seal over the valves that wasn't sitting properly and was causing blowback into the carb. Apparently this ring is not replacable!