Kawasaki Problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ACER, Sep 8, 2004.

1. ACER

ACER LawnSite Member

Does anyone have any ideas on this problem, my motor will bog in tall grass and when turning it will bog and blow black smoke for a couple of seconds. It will reach 3600 rpm's free load, but drop to 3000 rpm's when I engage the PTO.Its a Exmark Metro HP with a Kawaski FH500V 17.0 engine.

2. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

check your air filter first.

3. ACER

ACER LawnSite Member

I have already checked the air filter, replaced the fuel filter, removed and cleaned the fuel tank, blown through all the fuel hoses, and taken the carb apart and cleaned, thinking maybe a governor or fuel pump problem. Anyone know how to check these two?

4. Aleman

Aleman LawnSite Member

I had a similar problem on my 17 Kaw last week. It just got worse and worse until I totally lost a cylinder...Repalced the coil and its good as new...

5. ACER

ACER LawnSite Member

Aleman, what made you suspect the coil? I thought about fire but the black smoke makes me think its fuel related. I bought this mower used and it ran this way when I got it. Everything was out of adjustment but it ran fine until you tried to cut tall grass, it got worse to the point it would not cut 1 week old grass without bogging down. I adjusted the rpm's to 3600 and kept taking the throttle and choke plate off looking at everything, then one day it started running fine and has been that way for over a year now. It will run at no load at 3600rpm's but drop to around 3000rpm's when the pto is engaged.

6. Aleman

Aleman LawnSite Member

I really didn't suspect the coil until I totally lost one cylinder. Then I check for spark and had nothing. Black smoke usually means rich, which means fuel like you said. If your not getting a complete combustion then some of the fuel is not being burned...If you have a spark checker, its easy to test so you can rule that part out. Id also pull the plug a take a look,mine was pretty black and cruddy. Let me know what you find out.

7. Goodguy001

Goodguy001 LawnSite Member

kawasaki are notorious for running rich and fouling out the plugs. I would start by removing and cleaning the plugs and go from there

8. ACER

ACER LawnSite Member

I have cleaned the plugs, funny thing I started checking the electrical system today, after running the plug on the right side of engine is dry, the plug on the left side is wet with gas. I thought maybe the coil, plug, or spark plug wire on this side might be bad. I swaped all the parts to the oposite side with the same result, right side dry left side wet. I tried to cut a yard today what a major pain in the butt. It will run 3600rpm's no load, but drop as low as 2600rpm's under load in heavy grass. I had to cut a 1 acre plus yard in first or second gear while walking most of the time. I weight 235lbs, it would not pull me and cut well at all. As I may have mentioned earlier it will bog down in heavy grass or while making turns and blow black or sometimes white or blue smoke. Its usually dark black though. If this is a carb problem why does it only wet the plug on the left? Also checked the firing, it appears to be firing on both sides. Thanks for all the replys, I hope someone has had this same problem before.

9. ACER

ACER LawnSite Member

Update: Checked the compression this morning. The right side which has the dry plug was 105 psi, the left side with the wet plug was 60 psi, looking worse all the time

10. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Hows the head gasket on the low side????? Kaws like to blow them.
    John