Kawasaki Problems for those who know.......

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by matthew horner, May 24, 2005.

1. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

I've got an older bobcat walk behind with the fv406b or fbv06v, sorry, its late. Anyways, i shut the fuel off all the time cause it leakes into the cylinder if you don't. SO my employee leaves the fuel on all weekend and it FILLS the cylinder and gets into the crank case. No problem, I drain everything, take the plug out, pull the cord, then let it sit for a day to dry out. Replace plug, new oil in it, and it starts up. Next time I try to start it, it backfires a few times before starting. We used it on one job yesterday and it cut about 15 feet before cutting off. I got it started after pulling and pulling and backfiring and backfiring and it cut off again. It is REALLY hard to get started, and is backfiring really bad and really loud. Where should I start as far as diagnosing this?
    Thanks,
    Matt

2. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

The first problem is the carb. It sounds to me like the float is sticking causing the fuel to overflow into the intake and run into the cylinder. I would start with a good carb cleaning and rebuild and go from there.

3. matthew horner

I agree, however, would that possibly fix the starting and backfire problem? If I can get it started after pulling and pulling and working the choke, then why would it then start to backfire?
    Matt

4. Glenn J

Glenn J LawnSite Member

Interesting read. My folks had a Woods CM36 back about 10 years ago that we used to cut the lawn. It had the same engine and I always had this problem. It seemed to happen after I'd lift the deck to clean it off. After that, I'd pull it and gas would shoot out of the muffler. Not fun.

5. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I think fixing the carb would solve a lot of your problems. I had a valve clearance problem with mine and it took at least 10 pulls to get it started. Go with the carb first. If that much gas is in the cylinder then chances are its soaking the plug enough that it can't spark. Just my .02 Try posting this in the Mechanic and Repair section. You will get better advice there.

6. matthew horner

Yeah but the gas is out now, its back to how it was before the problem. I need to figure out what it is now. What would cause this backfire problem?

7. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

Try changing the plug. I had the same problem with a kohler. It's cheap if that isn't it.

8. blkberry

blkberry LawnSite Member

Ihave the same engine on a bobcat. Have had no real probs. You might consider a new engine if you have to rebuild anything beyond the carb. Kawi makes a really nice 13 horse v engine.

9. FDC

FDC LawnSite Member

i had the same thing happen to my kaw its a fc420v i cleaned the plug and it got worse so i replaced it with the right one and that did the trick it was the plug that made it backfire

Fred

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Been there, done that.
    Its either trash or something in carb that allows gas to seep by and end up in the crankcase. Whatever caused it before is just worse now. Go to the autoparts store and get the can of carb soaking chemical and put it in for about 1-2 hours. Put the carb back together and get a new gasket.