Kawasaki problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by derekarbeiter, May 20, 2008.

1. derekarbeiter

derekarbeiter LawnSite Member

Hello,

I have a John Deere 717A with a 19hp Kaw engine and I am having some minor problems with it. Once in a great while I will be mowing along or sitting at idle and the engine will die. This happened just the other day and I tried to restart it and all it did was puff out white smoke. The first thing I thought about was gas in the oil. Anybody have any of these problems with the Kaws? How do you fix it?

2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

We have had all kinds of problems with our kaws that we have owned over the years. So you say it will suddenly die for no apparent reason? Does the engine start to slow down before it dies or does it just suddenly die as if you turned the ignition switch off?

3. derekarbeiter

The engine will usually just die. Once in a while it will sputter around for a minute, and keep running, or it will do that and then die also. I love the engines, very reliable most of the time, just this small problem.

4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Sounds like you either have a speck of dirt in the carb or a ignition module is going bad. Our 34Z was doing the same thing last fall and again this spring. I finally took the carb off and took it apart and cleaned all the ports and jets with carb cleaner then used my compressor to blow it all out. Put it back together and it has run great for the past month.

5. derekarbeiter

We have two 717As. One has 107 hours, the other one has about 15. Both acted funny about at the same time, I thought we may have gotten some bad gas, so I put sea foam in both. Solved the problem in the older one, but the newer mower is still having a problem. I will look into it further. I did check the dipstick and the oil was dripping fairly rapidly off of it which brings me to think of my original idea about gas in the oil?:dizzy:

6. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Did you smell the oil?

7. derekarbeiter

Yes, but it didnt smell like gas.

8. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

check your coils. Kawis are known for bad coils. Had a friend recently tear his carb down on a 25 kawi on a Hustler with 400 hours on it and it turned out to be bad coils. Acted the same as yours.

9. derekarbeiter

Thanks C4chris70,

I will look further into that. Its kind of ironic that both acted the same way at the same time.

10. wildbilly

wildbilly LawnSite Member

Hope My Kaw. Holds Up.