Kawasaki recalls???

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Signature Services, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Signature Services

Signature Services LawnSite Member

Has anyone bought a mower with a 19hp Kawasaki during the last 3 years? I have a friend who has a Stander with one. He just had a run in with a local shop that is putting another engine in because they didn't fix a problem when it was under warranty 3 months ago. Now Kawasaki is replacing the engine but he getting charge $65/hour for labor to install.

Here's the kicker....another mechanic tells him that the Kawasaki engine had a recall due to shorten dipsticks. Causing most to over fill the oil and blowing the heads. Guess what my guy's problem is? Same thing. And the shop that he bought it from didn't tell him about the recall.
  2. Mikes Machines

Mikes Machines LawnSite Member

Call another Kawasaki dealer and ask them if there is a recall for this motor. You could also call Kawasaki direct. They have a customer service line just for problems like this. The number is available at any Kaw dealer and is also in the manual that comes with the unit.
  3. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Let me guess ... the dealer is OE? Kawasaki had a recall on 19hp engines from three to 3.5 years' back, due to other problems as well. I had one that went out due to wear on the top main bearing and they replaced it. That same engine had a rocker arm go out, and OE left it sitting for a month and a half ... way to go guys!
  4. Signature Services

Signature Services LawnSite Member

Actually, it's P. Link (on I-520). I think it's going to small claims court. My buddy calls me today and says it almost came to blows. Even asked not to come back in....
  5. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Dennis did that?! I thought he was supposed to be the service man of Augusta? Oh well.
  6. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

7. ztrx

ztrx LawnSite Member

About 2 years ago some Kawasaki vertical shaft engines had problems due to a "burr" on the upper main journal on the crank. It would eat up the upper main bearing on their engines usually before 500 hrs of use. Call the Kawasaki Customer service department with your model and serial # to see if it is included. I was able to get a replacement engine at no cost once I went through the channels,
    Good Luck