1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kawasaki Recoiler Problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by matt0360, Nov 29, 2005.

1. matt0360

matt0360 LawnSite Member
    from OH

I need some help I have a 95 14hp Kawasaki engine on my 48 scag walk behind mower. I am having trouble with the recoiler. There are two white "teeth" that pop out when you pull the cord, and a black disc that goes over the teeth. Well today I went to pull the cord and that black disc broke in half. I have already replaced these parts twice and I was wondering if there is an alternative or something I can do to fix my problem. Thanks
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Check the cup on the flywheel for any unusual wear and check the condiction of the recoil pulley, It could be worn and not holding the pawls (teeth) properly. One last thing, Always grab the handle and slowly pull the slack out to engage the pawls before pulling hard to start.

TORO/ECHO LawnSite Member

most likely the tits are broken off on the black pully, the white "dogs" slide over this tit or stud as you might call it

the next option will be to replace the starter asm or look into the possiablity that the engine is kicking back and breaking the peices
    est cost 60.00-90.00
  4. matt0360

matt0360 LawnSite Member
    from OH

Thanks guys I just took it to the dealer and found out that the metal cup that the teeth catch on to was the wrong one. I bought the mower used so someone messed with it.
  5. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

i just replaced my hole thing 72.00