Kawasaki Smokes from fuel pump

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawnandl, Jul 29, 2013.

1. lawnandl

lawnandl LawnSite Member

Here is something i have never seen before. I have a Kawasaki FH680V-gs01 23 hp engine that blew a couple of fuel pumps in a short period of time. I took of the short fuel line that comes out of the back of the rocker case and there was a lot of smoke coming out of the line. Ever seen this before? Oil Seal?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

How many hours are on this engine ?

3. lawnandl

lawnandl LawnSite Member

It has 1804 hours

4. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

subscribed

5. lawnandl

lawnandl LawnSite Member

Anybody with any thoughts on this???

6. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I think, but I may be wrong, but the fuel pump works off crankcase preshure. If you have excessive blowby it could perhaps cause a fuel pump failure. Or it may be the enging breather is stopped up. Just a thought.

Mabey Restro or Piston Slapper can help you out.

7. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you got it. Engine with that amount of hrs, could be any number of things. Hd gskt, breather (though Kawasaki isn't known of either) or it could be just worn out. Easiest thing to do is a dry and wet compression test. That will give 'some" indication of ring/cylinder condition, along with valve condition. Hd gskts, you can sometimes hear. Breather problems are a little harder to diagnose without a leakdown tester.

8. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

The fuelpump operates off crankcase vaccuum..
    If smoke is coming out of the fuelpump while it is operating..there is a pinhole in the diaphram..
    If smoke is coming out of the barb on the head with it disconnected...that's normal...
    As soon as the hose is disconnected from the pump...you lose all the crankcase vacuum..
    In the absence of crankcase vacuum...you get crankcase pressure...just like removing the dipstick while the engine is running..It'll blow out a lot of oil...
    You need a vacuum gauge that reads inches of water to check your engine vacuum..
    If it does have crankcase pressure....it might be blowby from the rings..blown headgasket..or broken reed valve if your engine has one.
    A leakdown and compression test should provide the answers..
    If there are high levels of ethanol in your fuel...it can eat the diaphrams in your fuelpumps..