1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kawasaki stalling problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by coolgreen, Jul 16, 2008.

1. coolgreen

coolgreen LawnSite Member

The 15 hp Kawasaki on my Gravely 34Z is acting up. It runs fine, then feels like it is running out of gas after about 15 minutes. I've changed the fuel filter and fuel pump, but it's still stalling. If I let it sit for a minute or two it runs fine again.

I'm thinking it may be a bad coil that acts up when it heats up, or maybe a bad fuel line, but I may be way off base.

I have the same motor on my Ferris walk-behind, and it has never done anything like this.

Has anyone else had this problem?
  2. coolgreen

Damn thing did it again today. Anyone have any ideas?
  3. h400exinfl

h400exinfl LawnSite Member
    from Florida

It's the fuel filter. Change it to the large kohler filter and you won't have the problem again. My dealer won't let a kawi powered machine out the door with the crappy little kawi fuel filter. It's just too small. You can verify by looking at the filter when it konks out, I bet it's empty.
  4. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

The fuel filter is most likely the problem. I had the same problem last month with my 23 HP Kawasaki.

I went to Tractor Supply and got a larger filter (the Arnold/MTD) and the problem was solved.

5. coolgreen

Thanks. I will try that. I've noticed that when it acts up the fuel filter is empty. Should it be full when the machine is running?
  6. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

When it is running there should be fuel in the filter -- not necessarily full but still have fuel in it. If your mower is sputtering or speeding up and down like a bad governor is in control and then dies and you check the filter (no gas in it) it is plugged up and bad.

7. DT Lawn Care

DT Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

It could be the coil because after however long, the idle will go up and down and then shut off completely, and then won't start for like two minutes like you said.
  8. heybruck34

heybruck34 LawnSite Senior Member

I think it's the coil. I had the same problem in my 14hp FC420V. Replace the coil- it's an easy fix- if you don't have a gap tool just use a business card. I think it took me 20 minutes or so start to finish. Better to do it on a cold engine.

As for your other machine not having problems- one guy gets 300K plus miles out of a truck, another only gets 150K miles. Why? Who knows...

JKUCSMA LawnSite Member
    Male, from OHIO

Try running it with the gas cap off,maybe the vent is plugged
  10. coolgreen

I put real hose clamps on the two lines going in and out of the fuel pump and it seems to have cured the problem. It ran all day today without stalling. It's the cheapest fix ever.

I guess the fuel pump was sucking air instead of fuel.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.