Kawasaki Starter/battery issue

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Turfman999, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Turfman999

Turfman999 LawnSite Member

I have a brand new bobcat zero turn with a Kawasaki 20 hp motor. It has 2 hrs. over 2 days. Mowed 3 lawns fine and went to start unit on 4th lawn and the starter justs spins without engaging. Jumped the unit with hd truck and it started right up.(large dual battery system) The battery shows 13v sitting and up to 14v charging at high rpm. It will drop to 11.8v when cranking. It came with what I believe to be a sub standard tiny battery with 215 cca. The dealer tells me the battery tests fine. I can let the unit cool down for about 45min to an hour and it will start fine. I asked for a paid upgrade to a normal lawn size 275 cca battery and they said it would be a waste. Does anyone have this type of experience? Would you guess a too small of battery or would you lean toward a starter that acts up when hot?

Thank You

2. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Take it back to the dealer and have him fix it. If you are not happy with the dealer, call Bobcat and talk to them.

3. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

It is under warranty and you haven't even got 5 hours of use out of it and it is not working like it should, no sir, unacceptable.
    Take it back and have them fix it.

4. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Posting engine numbers would help. Is it a bendix or solenoid shift starter?

5. Turfman999

Bendix that rotates upward to flywheel with proper rotation.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

There was a service bulletin on starters. Have no idea what you have so you can take it from there

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Might get one of these....essential tool.

Screenshot_2014-04-14-10-34-20.jpg

8. Turfman999

Great idea! Thank You

It's a shame that the dealer treats you like any other service customer. I have the feeling I will be without the zero for 3-4 days. They don't have the starter in stock if that is what the problem is.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. PEVO

PEVO LawnSite Member

Check your voltage going to the starter solenoid (blade connection) you should have at least 12+volts going to the solenoid when attempting to start it. If you have a drop then to lets say 11ish volts then that may be your problem. You need as much voltage as the battery can supply in order for the solenoid to work correctly.

I had to add an additional relay to the starter circuit to supply the solenoid with power STRAIGHT from the battery. Now my 28efi jumps to life right a way...Every time. Hot-cold no BS clicking, no starter not engaging the flywheel, no weak sounding battery ...flawless start every time now.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  10. Turfman999

Turns out the starter is bad and I found out I should find another dealer in the future.
    Posted via Mobile Device