1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kawasaki starter delay

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawnspecialties, Jan 8, 2007.

1. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

My SuperZ's Kawasaki has about 630 hours. Lately, it has developed a delay when starting cold. The longer it has been sitting between uses or the colder the outside temp. is, the longer the delay. This is not a long delay (one to two seconds), but it is something that has never been an issue until just recently. I'd like to solve this before it becomes a bigger problem out in the field. The battery connections are clean although I haven't tested it.

By the way, when I say "a delay", I'm speaking of the time between when I turn the key and when the starter engages. Thanks.
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not familiar with the SuperZ's but it sounds like it may have a starter relay that may be on the way out.

Just a thought and something to check into and get the "0" replies gone....
  3. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Search the Hustler thread and you'll find you answer. I believe that Hustler will fix that problem for free if it's still under warranty...and maybe even still if it's not.
  4. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

I dunno about your particular mower, but I do know that Bobcats have some type of "black box" in them. I really am not sure about the circuitry inside but it some how causes a delay in cranking and also a delay for the operator presense system. This is on top of the normal relays.

Some of these mowers get a little overly elaborate on their wiring. I dunno if someone holds pattens on certain harness designs or what because it seems everyone is just different enough that I end up staring at the diagram for a couple minutes just to see whats going on...LOL
  5. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

If the engine tries to crank and stops and then goes ahead and crank, Try adjusting the valves and make sure the clearance is right. Made a big difference on ours.
  6. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

willing to bet it's the keyswitch module - about $15.
  7. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

It's a common electrical problem with Super Z's. There is a wiring harness (pig tail) by Hustler that is supposed to fix this problem. If it doesn't work run a direct wire from the key switch to the starter.