Kawasaki String Trimmers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by garyo, Jun 6, 2010.

1. garyo

garyo LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Anyone have experience with Kawasaki string trimmers good or bad? Haven't read much about them.

2. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

I have heard good things about them, and supposedly they are the lightest trimmer out there at under 9 lbs for one model. But finding a dealer may be hard, I wanted to take one for a test drive, but everyone I called that they listed as a dealer said they really didnt sell kawasaki???

3. PPS.inc

PPS.inc LawnSite Member
    from Earth

DO NOT BUY THEM...... I have owned one for 3 years and it always breaks down.....it's only been on the trailer for 4 wks...... stay away from them..... I am trying to get kaw to buy mine back....... ALL TRASH.... Dont think I will ever buy anything Kawi again... including tractor motors..

4. ed2150

ed2150 LawnSite Member

I have 3 of them, the oldest is 5 years old and the newest is 2 years old. None have ever been in the shop and they have only required normal maintenance.

Power-to-weight ratio is about as good as it gets and they are all I'll buy.

5. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here, 5 years old and last week the rope broke, put a small piece just to start it, works great, new rope/housing on order.

Only problem I have is the 10% ethanol in the gas, it runs a little rough sometimes, just like my blower, never has done it in the past.

6. GlynnC

GlynnC LawnSite Senior Member

I maintain 10 Kawasaki trimmers for a guy, and have 2 of my own. The ones that are not mine get run to death--no guards, long string, run 30 or more hours a week--for about 4 to 5 years now. Exhaust ports need to be cleaned annually. Clutches, drive shafts, and rope starters are the only other problems. Have yet to declare one as unrepairable. Parts are more expensive--especially if bought from a dealer, but then Stihl parts are expensive, and can only be bought from a dealer--at least my experience.

I bought Kawasaki trimmers because of the proven track record of the ones I maintain.

7. twcw5804

twcw5804 LawnSite Senior Member

I have had great luck with Kawasaki motors on my push mowers, walk behinds, and ZTRs. I just bought a hedge trimmer of Kawasaki from Belmont power on ebay. It was crazy cheap, and they also sell the trimmers. I am also considering them for my next string trimmer purchase, but may go Stihl just because of all the dealer support here. I rarely use the hedge trimmers.

8. garyo

garyo LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Should I purchase one with a solid shaft or flexible drive shaft?

9. Lehighlawnpros

Lehighlawnpros LawnSite Senior Member

I've been using two KGT27a trimmers for about two years now with no problems. I love the power>weight and that they don't leak fuel.
    Mine have the solid driveshafts and run smoothly.

I grease the gearheads weekly, keep the spark plugs clean and clean the exhaust ports as required (only once so far). I'm using Amsoil synthetic oil at about 80:1

They run great with round .080 line, and "Weed Eater" brand is surprisingly good and in-expensive.
    It runs smoother and with more RPM than thicker and/or non-round line.

10. FThera

FThera LawnSite Member

I picked up a new KGT27A about 6 weeks ago. It's a GREAT trimmer. Light and powerful.