1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

kawasaki trimmer help

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Ziob, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Ziob

Ziob LawnSite Member

posting this under my buddies account i picked up two kawasaki trimmers for free kgt27a one is pretty shot for parts and one has very low hours good condition.....put a new spark plug in it and it starts right up....runs....idles fine but has absolutely no balls whatsoever.....even floored it just doggs it and does get enough rpms or power to even get the head going well enough to use. tried cleaning the carb with no luck.....is this a carbeurator issue where i could slap a new carb on and solve the problem or is the engine cooked and just has no compression anymore to have any power? like i said it'll start up idle the whole nine yards but when you floor it it just boggs no power. got them for free just wondering....worst case i junk them.
  2. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you got the spark issue taken care of so then that leaves fuel.

My Kawasaki bogs a little bit until it's warmed up. Have you let it warm up fully before giving it full throttle?

I usually gradually increase the throttle until it gets to WOT and runs without bogging. Then it's warmed up.
  3. CLS LLC

CLS LLC LawnSite Senior Member

Your issue is most likely low compression. First you need to remove the exhaust and clean out the carbon from the exhaust port and muffler. Then you can do a compression check. If it is below 80 psi, you're screwed. If it's below 100 psi, you may have another issue, but it's still not in great shape.
  4. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Several things to check. Here's a few:

Clean/free flowing fuel filter.
    Fuel lines in good condition--softened fuel lines may collapse when engine calls for fuel.
    Obstructed anti spark screen in muffler or partial blockage in exhaust port.
    Pump or metering diagphram in carb weak/stiff.
    High speed jet in carb partially obstructed.
    Check for adequate compression, although normally low compression will cause had starting as well.
  5. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

In addition to what Dutch said, you might want to check for a loose or cracked air intake. If it is sucking air it can't make power, either.
  6. Ziob

Ziob LawnSite Member

maybe the exhaust is glogged i'll do a compression test if i can find the damn tester can't see both engines being shot especially with one being relatively new. All other parts are fine......
  7. xstatikplus

xstatikplus LawnSite Senior Member

most likely the exaust port we run kawi trimmers and every once in a while we have to take the muffler off and clean it out due to lack of power. I'd try that first